Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm ready to undertake the engine swap. My 1996 outback has about 350000 miles, speedo broke years ago. What kind of engine hoist do I need to buy? Donar car is an hour away and must stay there for parts. I know I need a 2.2 manual computer, do I need to change the fuel pump? What about wiring harness???

any engine lift will work, they're fairly generic - a big jack attached to a boom, add chain/hooks.

you do not need the computer, fuel pump, or to do anything with the wiring harness.

simply remove the entire EJ22 - intake manifold, wiring harness, and all - and drop it into the EJ25.  you use the EJ22 wiring harness in the EJ25 - it's plug and play.

you'll bolt the EJ25 flexplate (because yours is an automatic), A/C, and power steering stuff all onto the EJ22 and it plugs right in.  no computer, wiring, or fuel pump stuff to worry about.

it depends what year the EJ22 is but:

1995 automatic you don't need anything.  remove it and it's plug and play into your 96.

95 manual EJ22 won't have EGR - still plug and play simple but yo'ull have a check engine light. a user here posted an easy work around though, check it out.

96-98 EJ22's you'll need the exhaust manifold to go with it because it's single port exhaust - but if you're going to a parts car then you're fine, just grab it - it bolts right up tot he vehicle as well, easy.

96-98's are a bit random about the EGR issue - it's not straight forward which have them and which don't (like in 95 auto's have EGR and manuals don't) - so you just have to look to see.  if it has EGR you're golden.  if it doesn't then work aroudn it.

or ignore it - you'll just get a check engine light, that's what i do. (and no swapping ECU's will not help with EGR check engine lights, not even close to that simple).  if you live in a state with emissions testing and can't have the CEL on, or don't like it, then you'll need to work around it. again - find that post that was started this year regarding that.

I had the transmission swapped to a manual 70,000 miles ago. So if I change the engine to 2.2, the 2.5 auto computer will still work???

you do not need the computer

t.

ECU does not matter. leave it, drop it, forget it.  if someone swaped the ECU when you swapped from auto to manual, they didn't need to and just didn't know it.

i already outlined the differences you need to know in my first reply, read those and get them straight - mostly EGR.

sometimes auto/manual is an indicator of other things - like whether or not the vehicle has EGR or not.  for instance in 1995 - auto's have EGR and manuals do not.   it has nothing to do with the ECU or any major difference, it's simply an indicator of other things I already outlined for you - all the EGR stuff in my first reply.