Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 1996 outback will not start.  As I was driving yesterday it quit running. Im getting gas (pulled the gas line off and cranked it over gas came out. I also sprayed some starting fluid in the intake. I have spark @ the coil..  It turns over good no back fire.  any help 235000 miles on it I changed the timing belt last year and I can see that its turning..

Having the engine die while driving isn't a good thing. You appear to have fuel and spark so I have to wonder if the valve timing has slipped since you stated the timing belt appears to be intact. The results of a compression test will tell you the story about that. I think that car has a non-interference engine and if that is what has really happened that would save your rear end.

• Like 1

No special tester is needed to do the testing. I'm not sure what the specs are for a nonturbo engine but I would guess you should see between 150lbs to 180lbs of pressure on a good cylinder. Hopefully all the readings are within 10lbs. of each other.

I assume there was no compression because the timing belt has slipped. There might be a problem with the belt tensioner. I also assume that the valves weren't damaged. If that is the case then replacing the timing belt and other things may be worth the time and small investment for new parts. You need to decide that. If there is valve damage then that would really hurt. I would invest in a newer car myself but that is just me.

• Like 1

If this 96 has an automatic tranny, then it has the 2.5 motor. If the belt broke, or tensioner locked up, then the valves are damaged, so no compression. That being the case, then I am sorry, but it is bad news.

If on the other hand, the 96 has the 2.2 motor with 5 speed, then that motor is non interference, so valves are not damaged. Simply replacing the timing belt with new tensioners will put you back on the road.

• Like 1

I can see the belt turning. When trying to start. This is 2.5 and I was driving going about 50mph at the time. So I'm thinking the valves are damaged.  Because the belt is turning!  Is this what you guys think?  Thanks Much  Dave

I forgot about the differences between the 2.2 and 2.5 liter engines like Rooster2 mentioned. Your engine has major work required to fix it. That being the case it might be time to think about moving on and getting what you can for this car. If the rest of the car is in real good shape it might be worth investing in a used replacement engine and other ware items but you are going to have to carefully weigh the differences between the two. One thing about totally rebuilding your engine is it should go a long time without any problems. Some might recommend going to the 2.2 liter engine which was preferred over the 2.5 due to less problems.

I forgot about the differences between the 2.2 and 2.5 liter engines like Rooster2 mentioned. Your engine has major work required to fix it. That being the case it might be time to think about moving on and getting what you can for this car. If the rest of the car is in real good shape it might be worth investing in a used replacement engine and other ware items but you are going to have to carefully weigh the differences between the two. One thing about totally rebuilding your engine is it should go a long time without any problems. Some might recommend going to the 2.2 liter engine which was preferred over the 2.5 due to less problems.

With 235K miles on the odo, I don't feel that there is a good reason to rebuild that motor. Just too many miles on what has to be a tired engine. Better off installing a lower mile 2.2 motor as a replacement. That is what I did on my wife's 98 OBW. Car runs great on a '95, 2.2 motor.