Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1600 motor to 1800 tranny?

Hi there guys. I'm new here, just found out about this forum. I just bought my 3rd subaru, went for an older one this time. I have an 85' GL 4wd hatchback. Heres what Im looking for information on. The motor that the car was built with was an EA-82 and that motor stayed with the seller. I then found an EA-71 localy from an 86 wagon.
Both my car and the donor car are manuals.

for whatever reason the bolt patterns between these two motors is very different. I've looked at the adapter plate kits from SJR and I don't think I see what I need. Without making my own adapter plate is there a way to put these two together? I'm open to options, options based on the tranny that is in the car stays in the car. I don't really want to go to an EJ motor, yet I don't know all of my options.  Thanks guys.

Well.....lets see, an 85 Hatchback would have had an EA81, not an EA82.

EA71 wouldn't have been in an 86 wagon.  There were some EA71s in 86, but only in FWD hatches.....and those would be the "fat case" EA71 that share the bellhousing with the EA81/82 engines.

If the EA71 you are talking about is the type with the starter hole at the very top of the bellhousing, then it's alot older than 86.  It would have to be from the late 70's or early 80's 2wds or DL model 4wds.

If the starter is at the top of the bell, that engine won't work with the EA81/EA82 transmissions.

An 85 GL 4wd would have had an EA81 from the factory.

• Like 1

Actually the ea71 was used in a lot models and years check out this thread for more info

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/138256-ea71-with-hlas-and-points/

Also there are two block styles for the ea71 as gloyal mentioned the wide case could be matted to an ea81 dual range but a regular ea71 couldn't be because of the location of the starter

• Like 1

Ok, so maybe I was fed some bad info from the seller of the engine? Well that happpens.

The starter relief is at the 12 o'clock position on this 1600 and yes the original was an EA81, I got that twisted up.

So, the census is: find a 'fat case' or make my own adapter plate? Is this older motor worth anything? If so I dont want to waste it on an oddball project. If not, I'll start measuring for that plate.

Thanks again for the input.

• 2 weeks later...