Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 90' legacy has been making quite a bit if noise from the rear end of the car lately... It has been making a low pitched growling noise (rar-rar-rar-rar) that increases with speed. I figured it must be a wheel bearing so I jacked it up tried to feel for any slop or play in the bearings but everything seems tight and smooth... So I checked the rear diff and the gear oil was clean and didnt smell burnt and I topped it off. The center support bearing seemed fine as far as a visual inspection goes. Could it be the rear cv joints? I have never had experience with rear ones - only fronts and its obvious when they go bad! Let me know if you have and suggestions or things for me to check and your subaru guru insights!

Wheel bearing.

These will make noise for thousands of miles before there is any play in the bearing.

If you pull the axle out of the hub and spin it you will feel the grinding of the bad rollers. You may be able to spin the wheel fast enough to hear the bearing make noise if you listen to the knuckle with a mechanics stethoscope.

Okay, there is no need to disconnect the shaft from the diff is there? Will the pounding on the shaft damage anything in the diff or the cv shafts?

since the suspension is at max travel and/or you have the knuckle loose, any 'inward' force should just slide the tripod joint a little further inward. It won't be bottomed out and almost no force will be trasferred to the diff.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

On that Impala, I started with a hammer on the turned-around axled nut after usimng some PB Blaster.

I eventually had to rent a huge gear-type puller to use on the hub and use the torch AND use the impact on the puller AND hammer on the puller. It was crazy stuck. (the first puller I had under the lug nuts, a lug nut stripped and shot around the garage and either it or the breaker bar handle hit me on the thumb - lucky I was'nt severely injured. had to buy lug nuts.. it can be frustrating working on cars)

hope yours is easier. The 2 Subarus I've done, I just pushed the axle out with my thumbs!

you might look around youtube for some videos.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

So, I just called my local junk yard and they only want $25 for a hub assembly.... Sounds like a deal to me. Does anyone have a quick list of tools I need to do this at a junk yard?- besides a big freakin hammer!