Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Going into a fix Blind...Alternator Bolts Size Loyale, Terminal clamps

RXJ

Gave my Loyale to my son...he had problems on the highway she died, sounded exactly like alterantor failure, I had a spare alternator in the trunk, he tried to change it out, stripped the bolts.

The car I have spent so much time luvingly repairing, knowing I'd get 300,000 miles out of, was towed and has been sitting on some side street in Providence for over a month.

I told him to charge the battery, take the car to auto parts and have them check the alternator. He tried to remove the battery and cboth battery terminal clamps have broken off, the wire so rusty is the claim...the car still sits while he attends school, too busy, too green to solve these smple issues.

I can't take it anymore, I'm heading out for a 300 mile round trip to get it going see what's up, hoping the new clutch I luvingly put in is still gripping, hoping I'm still remembered...I can hear it now "thank god you're back"...from the car.

What size bolts, diameter and length are the two alterantor bolts?..it sounds as if both are stripped.

For the lower bolt I'll need to go longer and put a nut on it

For the upper, from what I understand I gotta cut the thing out and replace.

And the battery terminal clamps ...my memory says they are of a smaller diameter than standard... am I hallucinating?

Heading out tomorrow morning, motorcycle trip, need ducks in a row..

many thanks for reading my vent and any size info

he probably used standard wrenched on metric bolts. Have you ever seen people not be able to squarely fit the correct size tool to a bolt wothout slipping? It may not be as bad as presumed.

The bolts will have 12mm heads. The shank is 8mm with 1.25 thread. The long alternator bolt can be susbstituted with a standard as you will likey not find a m8x1.25 bolt that long.

Bring a good pair of straight jaw vise grip.

many thanks Miles...

the only tools he had were the original Suby tool pack,  I'm guessing the open end wrench just couldn't do the trick.... I know, i know.. why didn't i supply the car with a real tool kit...my fault in a few ways

and thanks Gloyale, I was just about to follow up with that again

many thanks you guys

"It may not be as bad as presumed".

you nailed that, miles...

the bolt wasn't stripped at all...plus the spare in the trunk had it's own bolt regardless...AND it's own lower bolt un-stripped .. fuzzy fanatical thinking on my part..

It turned out a simple swap was all that was needed and I arrived with the correct terminal clamps which were needed...

my kid fails the turning of the screw test (and he did, so he claims use a 12mm socket after the towing) but hey..

great day for a motorcycle ride, see my kid, see my car...all's good in the hood

thanks again

One thing to note here; you can get newer style end wrenches and sockets from tool suppliers like Craftsman that will still allow you to remove bolts with stripped heads along with other style of heads than just hex head. Check out the Craftsman spline end wrenches.