Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 Legacy - Tire performance rating

I just got off the phone with a local tire dealer.  The company i a regional outfit that has been around for a quite a while.  Anyway, I need to replace two tires on my 1992 two-wheel drive Legacy sedan.  The guy tells me that this car requires H rated tires so he will not install, for example, Michelin Defenders since they do not have an H performance rating.  Why would this car require tires with the H rating?

Please don't respond Mr. 987687 if you can't be nice.

Thanks,

Mike V.

Sounds like a ploy to sell tires.

There should be some info on the tire inflation sticker about which size, and maybe weight and speed rating the vehicle originally came with.

I would think you can easily get by with an S rated tire. (I doubt you'll ever be doing 112 mph with it).

Are the tires that are currently on the car H rated?

I agree with fairtax4me. It sounds like a BS sales ploy to sell you high end expensive tires. I can't imagine you driving your 92 that fast, or that hard, to ned high performance tires. Suggest you go to another tires store. For normal driving within posted speed limits, any tire will work for you. No tire company knowingly manufacturers an unsafe tire.

I've had this trouble before when I got a great deal on some lightly used tires for my parents Honda. Simple solution though. Buy the tires, take the rims off the car and carry them in for mounting. I used Walmart TLE because they are generally the best value.

What is Walmart TLE??

Tire and Lube Express - they usually mount and balance for about $10-$15 per tire. Another $2. each for valve stems. Way better than many shops charge.

okay on the TLE. I shop Walmart often, but never knew paid any attention that their auto shop is called the Tire and Lube Express. Seldom have work done by their techs. As a group, their techs don't seem like the sharpest guys to trust doing an oil change. Though, I think that mounting and balancing tires is close to a "no brainer," and not easily screwed up.

Agreed. I do all my own work, but don't have the equipment necessary for tire changes. I've been quite pleased with the overall tire services there. Cheap and usually friendly.

And if the rims and tires are carry in - they'll mount them regardless of what it's going on. If it's on the car, it needs to match factory specifications. Just covering their own butts. Tough to fault them these days.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

Thanks for the comments guys.  I really don't think this is a ploy by this particular outfit to sell more expensive tires than are "required".  I think it is either a new statute or one that is becoming more strictly enforced.  But hey, it could be a law that is rarely followed or enforced and this shop is justtaking dvantage of it just to make a little more money.

Just to add to the silliness of this situation, I called the shop back and asked them to go ahead and get me two of the (Chineese) H-rated tires they had mentioned and to set up an appointment to have them mount them.  This time the guy asked me for the details on the two tires I would be leaving on the car because he told me that he could not put the two new H-rated tires on unless the other two tures were H-rated!

After doing some quick searching It looks to me like that car should have originally come with a 185-70 R14 87S tire.

Kinda seems that if the car has a 14" wheel they spec. an S rating.

If it has a 15" wheel they spec. an H rating.

I kinda doubt your 92 FWD came with 15" wheels originally.

This could just be a case of incorrect database information. I checked on both my 95 and 96 and they both have the original tire size, load and speed ratings printed on the tire info stickers in the door jamb. (Same size as above)

The same info is also in the owners manual in the Specifications section.

Look on the tire info sticker and see what it says. If it says it came with an S rated tire, show that sticker to the shop.

I have a 92 fwd legacy and according to the sticker on the door it says H rating but currently it has S rated tires on that the previous owner put on. I'm not sure if that is in any way bad for the car but there has been no issues with my own

Thanks for the comments guys.  I really don't think this is a ploy by this particular outfit to sell more expensive tires than are "required".  I think it is either a new statute or one that is becoming more strictly enforced.  But hey, it could be a law that is rarely followed or enforced and this shop is justtaking dvantage of it just to make a little more money.

Just to add to the silliness of this situation, I called the shop back and asked them to go ahead and get me two of the (Chineese) H-rated tires they had mentioned and to set up an appointment to have them mount them.  This time the guy asked me for the details on the two tires I would be leaving on the car because he told me that he could not put the two new H-rated tires on unless the other two tures were H-rated!

I would be concerned about running Chinese tires of who know of what quality and safety from a store that requires H rated tires at all four corners of your car for what......safety reasons??? Let me guess..........the shop wants to put those Chinese tires both front and rear.  With that mentatilty and approach, I suggest you buy tires elsewhere. I don't think the tire store is looking out for your best interest, only theirs for the $$$$.