Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any other year fit 97 legacy L headlight w/ turn signal built in?

I have a 97 legacy L and can't find a headlight assembly with the built-in turn signal like the original, without special ordering a new one at too high a cost. Lots of places have the one that doesn't have the built-in turn signal but none have the one-piecer.

Does anyone know if the separate headlight and turn signal would fit and work instead, or if any other year or model's headlight assembly could fit and work?

Many thanks!!

YES one piece and two piece should be swappable, I was having a conversation with my roomie/mechanic about that he said that its just the housing that differs. wire sockets and mount points are the same so you can swap them around.

my goal is to fit up impreza head lights from around 98-99 and use the turn signal from the two piece. I like glass headlights!  mmmm fabrication!

95 and 96 had the one piece headlight housing with the signal housing built in. Some 97s had them as well, but anywhere you look for a 97 headlight housing they will give you listings for nothing but the two piece style.

Search for 95 or 96 Legacy (trim level doesn't matter) and you will get listings for the one piece.

Junkyards are good for low prices, but you may need to clean the lens because they all fade and yellow with age.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice! Good thing for this forum - every parts store I contacted said the two separate parts wouldn't fit... but as you all said,  they did! Used parts from a 1998 Legacy Outback. Had to cut the wires and use the connectors from my vehicle, but other than that: simple!

:)