Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings all. New Subaru owner here with a question. I`ve already done a search on remote car starters with no success on the newer cars. I have a 2011 Legacy that my wife wants to treat me to a remote starter. I`ve looked at the Subaru starter and it`ll be about $750 tax in here in Ontario. That`s way too much for me to ask her to pay so I`m asking,....does anyone have good luck with an alternative brand or should I stick with the OEM? I hadn`t realized it when buying but does the car have a Canbus electrical system or is it conventional? Would adding a non-OEM mess up the system?

Ray

Ray,

Yes the wiring does have a canbus electrical system.  I don't know how the OEM remote starter is configured, but if it's a more or less plug & play option, it may give you less issues in the long run vs. an aftermarket where it has to be hard wired into the system. 

Some people get aftermarket kits since the Subaru unit shuts the engine off when you open the door.  Lots of folks that have installed Subaru and aftermarkets talk about it here:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/39840-remote-engine-starter-2.html

Kit is a little over $300:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-SUBARU-OEM-REMOTE-CAR-STARTER-LEGACY-OUTBACK-2010-2012-H011SAJ200-/321226957742

Install it yourself or have a mechanic do it, here's the instructions from Subaru:

http://subaruonlineparts.com/pdf/H001SAJ000.pdf

You could also look into a used set...they'll get cheaper over time.  The Subaru listing on ebay suggests all 2010-2012 Legacy and Outbacks are the same.

www.car-part.com for used ones

There is one significant issue with the Avital on my 2008 (I think all are made by the same mfg, just rebadged.)

The aftermarket remote and factory are un-compatible, and I've had it back to the installer a couple times.

If I inadvertently press the lock on the door itself when I exit, and use the new remote to unlock it, the alarm goes off, and I have to use the factory remote to turn off the alarm. It was a pain until I developed the habit to never touch the door locks.

Occasional passengers who are courteously assisting us by pressing the door lock when they exit are greeted by a screeching alarm when we return. I have to be the noodge-reminder-guy to "not touch the door lock."

Other than that, it's great. <_<