Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cannot find a used retractable tan cargo cover

I just bought my first used subie and need some parts. My first priority for security is to get a cargo cover for the back but need more interior parts. I have called all my local dealers and junkyards but no luck so far. It is a 2001 subaru outback legacy. I was wondering if there was a place other than ebay to find one so I dont have to open a pay pal acct that would have one. The advise would be apprecieated, thx.

longtrailside,

You don't need to be reluctant concerning eBay, having an account, and finding the parts you need through eBay.

I've had an eBay account for 10 years or so, and would buy 3 or 4 items a year, almost all of them automotive related. Setting up a PayPal Account is easy with a secured credit card procedure.

About 10 months ago I purchased a used 2012 OBW LTD from a dealership and found that there was no cargo cover or hood bug deflector, both items I wanted on the car. I purchased both online through eBay, had them shipped to my home at my expense, paid a brokerage fee from the US to Canada for them, and a 13% Canadian tax as well, ... and it was still a hundred cheaper than it was to purchase them from my closet Subaru dealership here in Canada.

On several ocassions I've been able to purchase good used items at a fraction of the cost of a new one. This just makes sense on a used car that is several years old, depending on the parts. I purchased a used headlight leveling sensor for my wife's 2004 Lexus for $150 including shipping, a couple of years ago on eBay. The Lexus dealership wanted $600 for the same part that can only be purchased through Lexus, and was a rare part at that time.

Certainly you have to check out the seller's history and buyer's comments, and be aware of what the cost would be for a new item in your locale. When shipping is added to the item's price, you have to be sure that the purchase is still going to be worth it.

You might get lucky and find a used cargo cover at a wrecking yard, but your best bet would be on eBay.