Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, now I've done it- broken tail housing bolt

Well, now I've done it- broken tail housing bolt

Pulling the tail housing on my 4EAT, the lower right bolt broke off.

It's not in a good spot for just leaving it out, and I've never ever had luck drilling a broken bolt in aluminum.

I hope these bolts are really soft...

There is a little bit of bolt sticking out of the trans housing (I got the tailshaft off), and I have a MIG welder, but since the threads are ripped out I'm not sure even the heating/cooling of the welding will break it free.

It broke loose, started threading out, bound, would move a little in and out and then bound solid.

I will probably try drilling first.

• Like 1

Got through it with a pilot drill,.

Lotsa pressure, very low rpm.

Now I know what I did wrong- I carried some parts into the garage today and placed them on the only flat surface- the drill case.

I LITERALLY said to myself "I'll put these here since I WON'T BE NEEDING ANY DRILLS TODAY".

Moron.

i don't think those bolts are much in the way of ft-lbs, sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

if you're retaining stock thread pitch & size then measure to see if you can use a longer bolt than the original too.  i've done that countless times on other Subaru parts and there's almost always more unused threads in the hole - the hole/threads are deeper than the original bolt.  this will give you more meat to grab onto.

Went to pick up the headpipe(s) with the 3 cats to put it back on- one pipe moved relative to the other.

One of the nuts holding the bolt-on front cat disintegrated.

Found some exhaust nuts at the parts store, got it replaced and tapped the other corroded and half-missing nut off, and replaced that one too.

Some metal simply flaked off the flanges when I tightened the nuts, oh man, I hope that holds.