Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check engine flashing on 96 Legacy

I drove my sister's Legacy to church yesterday with her; the CEL started flashing and power got weaker though not basket case situation; the problem went away later, I refilled the anti-freeze this morning.  Personally I would not be concerned but she is disabled and worried as she has a lot of "professionals" who help her.  My thinking is running it by Auto Zone they would do a free code check and cel reset.  Any clues, could the low reservoir antifreeze fluid have triggered this?

It is running fine now, but the flashing check engine remains a mystery.  She has had tune ups done regularly and puts about as many miles on it as your grandmother.

a tune up with cheap plugs and cheap spark plug wires will cause a miss fire after not many miles. Look at a repair receipt, or a brand name on plug wires to see what's there.

OK, I will check her receipts.  She regularly goes to "Oil Star" and shells out $50 for the oil change, much more often than she needs to as much as I advise her to look around for the $25 specials; on the tune up, it may be overdue, but frankly for someone who rarely puts more than 30 miles on the vehicle on a given day, it is hard to see why she would need much in the way of replacements.