Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no power to fuel pump?

My Hitachi'd  ea82 is not making the fuel pump run when I turn  the key. Started after I rebuilt the carb, I thought just needed a good prime, and I can make it start and run if I crank & pump enough to make it siphon, it runs, spitting gas. Then I realized the fuel pump wasn't whirring.

So I checked all the connections, don't seem to have power to the pump -but was unsure about how the relay works, so I went ahead and swapped in a fuel pump -(but did not plumb it yet) turn the key -still nothing. Pulled out the two 4-wire relays above the fuse box (is one of these fp?) and swapped them, but they both click. Still no pump.

Is there some other sensor to tell the fuel pump to go? What am i missing?

I am having the same problem, my car is an 86 XT with fuel injection, it started out that when driving over 60 mph I could hear a relay click and then my car would die. I could get to restart after several minutes of cranking, & it chugged along to get me home. I also think my timing belt is off a tooth and I was wondering if this is causing my computer to turn off the fuel pump relay. I replaced the fuel pump with a Bosch pump and it will not start unless I spray gas directly into the throttle body and then it dies.

Any ideas? I will be replacing the timing belts but will this fix my problem, by the way I connected a fuel pressure gauge when I replaced the fuel pump originally and it was showing 35 psi though not running full song. 

Okay well 2 totally different cars there.

The carbed EA82, the Fuel pump relay has 5 wires(6 pins)connector and should be mounted to the kick panel above the hood latch release.  It ONLY sends power to the pump when there is a tach pulse present on the yellow wire there.  So look for tach signal, and check the power in, and out, and the ground. 

The XT.  Timing belt wouldn't affect fuel.  But again, ECU will cut off fuel pump if it doesn't see a Tach pulse from the disty.  Gotta have the Intake boot hooked up and pulling air through the MAF to make it run.

I am looking at 4 relays all have 4 wires -none of these? Does it look different?post-35388-0-98071400-1381164938_thumb.j

(borrowed pic)

I can't seem to find ant other relays up in there -I am upside down with the guts out of this thing

Edited by rrgrr

Never did find that relay...it's working though. Decided to backtrack and found the fuel getting to the carb, but took the carb apart to find the acc pump split and the bowl empty. Guess I was mistaken about the way it works based on others. Going to rebuid Hitchy again & double check float, do o-rings &  try again. All these hoses are just making me want a Weber... Thanks guys.              

I am looking at 4 relays all have 4 wires -none of these? Does it look different?post-35388-0-98071400-1381164938_thumb.j

(borrowed pic)

I can't seem to find ant other relays up in there -I am upside down with the guts out of this thing

None of those.  Those are the 2 headlight relays, The blower relay, and the Defrost relay.

The Fuel pump controller is not like a regular "relay"   it's bigger about the size of deck of cards.  And it is mounted Directly above the hood latch pull.  It's actually bolted in underneath the hood latch pull.  Loosen the bolt, and it slips out from under for better access.