Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Legacy Outback P/S pump reseal

I purchased a Subaru power steering pump reseal kit for my wife's '98 Legacy Outback because the pump is leaking---it isn't just the "O" ring at the reservior this time.

Does anyone have specific written instructions on how to disassemble and re-seal the pump?

No but have done many is the seal behind the front berring that leaks the center of pump has veines and stator that only fits one way so very important that care is taken to not mixup direction of parts I think you can keep the center section all together and change o rings and seal has two pins and a plate to keep it in place . Also the tank O ring dosent come in kitt have to get it separate

The last reseal kit I bought from Subaru came with the o-ring and seal washer for the reservoir. But that was a few years ago.

Can you post a picture of what was included in the kit you bought?

You will need a new front bearing since removing the shaft to replace the pump seal damages the front bearing. I think its a 6203, but it says on the rubber seal on the bearing. Can get them at Napa. Online lists them at $5.49. Should be about that in the store, and they keep those in stock. Very common bearing. Most idler pulleys use them as well.

Edited by Fairtax4me