Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy 5mt 203k.  This engine had been overheated around 150k.  The headgaskets are now leaking leaving the chocolate mousse like substance on the oil filler cap.  I'm trying to determine if I should repair the hgs or do an engine swap or look for another suby.  I've read the 2.2s leak slowly for a long time thus ruining the bottom end.  And I suspect this one has been for some time.  The engine has started idling very rough at very low temps (-15F), when warmed it idles fine but does randomly stumble under more than moderate load.  I'm wondering how I go about deciding which route to take in fixing or replacing either the hg's, engine, or whole car.  TIA

Do you have a torque wrench? Or access to one?

If yes, just replace the head gaskets. The old 2.2s rarely suffer bottom end damage. That's a 2.5 DOHC problem.

About $100 in gaskets and fluids, probably $70-$90 to resurface the heads if they're scored or corroded around the coolant ports.

2.2 heads are REALLY easy to remove, even with the engine in the car. Pull the intake manifold, drop the exhaust manifold, pull the timing covers and pop the belt off, 6 head bolts and the head is off. Don't even have to remove the valve covers, though removing the valve covers does give you an extra 1/2" or so of clearance.

Thanks for the reply.  It's a heated garage that I really need access to.  Some say you can't properly torque the bolts with the engine in.  Thoughts?  I've sent a msg to my mechanic asking if he can do them without engine removal but he hasn't gotten back to me.  Funds are extremely tight so I would prefer this route. 

you are sure they are leaking?

cause they usually leak the other way, into the coolant, not the oil.

are you loosing coolant?

anyway if you are sure, just replace the gaskets in the car.

you might consider sending off an oil sample to bobstheoilguy.com and having it analyzed.

Edited by johnceggleston

Losing coolant and the greyish gunk is building up on the oil filler cap.  I change the oil every 3k and the last change was the first sighting of it.  I wiped it clean and it is starting to reappear.  I guess I'm making the assumption they are leaking based on those two items and the fact that I was driving it when it overheated ~50K ago, which I also assume slightly warped the heads.  The car does not overheat.  There is carbon? residue on the walls of the overflow tank.