Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trans identifaciton problem and compatability question

Found a 98 impreza rs 4eat. From my research it should be 4.44, still can't find a definite year for change over from phase 1 to phase 2 in the impeza rs's. The 2.5 legacy and outbacks changed over in 98 . It doesn't have the external spin on oil filter like a phase 1 but it has the 6 bolt holes like a phase 2. Its going to replace the swapped 4.44 97 outback trans that is currently dying in my 95 ej22 legacy. Does anybody know which phase it is and if the electronic connectors for the tcu, ecu, etc. for the trans will plug up fine with my 95 ej22. The trans code is tz102z26aa-ta so I think it should be phase 1 but I'm not sure cause of the bolt holes. Just need a confirmation that everything will bolt up an that the wiring is same so it will be plug and play.

Thanks in advance

Edited by oooo

Thanks Legacy777 nice to know its definitely 4.44. Anybody know the answer to the other questions. Also will my torque converter be a diriect swap, the trans doesn't come with one. I thought I read somewhere that the rs came with different size torque converters or something was different about them. But that might be the 99-01 I'm thinking of, or i could just be confused. Been trying to read as much as possible and could be getting things mixed up

the first phase 2 auto trans was in the 99 outbacks, GTs, legacy L and the low end impreza. (99 lego L and loend impreza have the EXACT same ID number).

in 00 all other auto trans went to the phase 2 trans.

any 90 - 98 auto trans (usdm, but not the loyale) will plug in and run in any 90 - 98 car (usdm, butnot the loyale), IF, IF, IF, the final drive ratio matches the rear diff.

the wiring is the same, the electronics are the same and the ECU does not care.