Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing a Brat Blower motor

Hey all. Recently when I run the heat in the winter time the blower motor on my 85 Brat is making quite a bit of noise, like the white blower cage (dont know the right name for it) is loose on the motor. Miles Fox hooked me up with a new blower motor with a cage. I am looking in my haynes manual and it looks like you just pop a plastic piece off under the passenger side dash and swap the fans out, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how everything down there comes apart. If anyone could give me some tips or steps on installing a new fan down there that would be awesome. I started popping the clips off holding the one piece of plastic, but it just isnt coming off and I am starting to feel pretty clueless to the whole process. 

I edited your topic title to help those understand what you need help with better.

Essentially you take that little shelf out on the passenger side.  2 10mm nuts on the inside end near the radio and the screws along the bottom edge of the glove box edge at the top.

Right, I have taken the shelf down as well as taken the glovebox out too. There are two plastic black containers under the dash it seems. I do not just see the brat blower motor anywhere, feel like its behind one of the plastic shields or guards. The ones that are held together with metal clips.

Don't know if it's like my '89 DL wagon, but I ended up removing the whole blower housing. It looked like it should just unclip, but just couldn't figure out how it should come out. Here's why I removed it:

2F690AAD-061D-4D33-AFAB-AD8B618032CE_zps

Can you give me any tips or let me know what you did for removing the whole blower housing? I'm sure there is a rats nest in mine as well, it sat for a minute, and I see constantly pieces of grass and other stuff caught up in my blower. And I have taken the shelf down and cannot for the life of me see a way to get to the motor you have in the picture without taking the housing out.

Hi,

If I recall correctly the unit itself is held in by 3 10mm bolts to underside of dash / back of gutter.

Post Pic Here Later :

Photo0322.jpg

Sorry its for AUS so you'll just have to flip it ... :P

Once you have it out, can see clearly the case splits in half & is held together with about 1/2 dozen spring clips.

The motor itself is bolted to one end via 3 rubber grommets.

Assemble in reverse order you took apart ... :)

I hope this helps ...

Cheers, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum

Sorry, it's been a while since I removed it, so I'm a little short on specifics. It seems to me that between the wiring and the squirrel cage, it just seemed easier to take the whole housing out. I'm glad I did, because each section I removed, revealed more mouse nests and excrement. Even after I got the dash out, when I broke it down, there were mice nests inside the ducting contained in the dash itself. Taking the dash apart also allowed me tho replace deteriorating weather stripping between the components. The heater core was also picked with mouse nests. 

I painted my dash with Duplicolor Vinyl paint today, and I have tho say I think I'd came out very nice. Not a 100 point con cours restoration quality, but certainly good enough for a daily driver. 

I replaced my fan motor as well, even though the old one was still spinning, just because this cat has 258K miles on it, and the fan was covered in oil like it had thrown it's lube. 

If I can be off more help let me know. 

John