Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon Manual 4 cyl

I have been having loads of problems with my 1990 Subaru Legacy. First running rough, idle was bad, using lots of fuel and no power or get and go. So far have replaced plugs, wires, O2 sensor, run seafoam through( no smoke), pcv valve, some ignition computer part. So checked for codes it through 11,13,14,15,16,,17,23,24 and 49. Also the exhaust broken has broken off due to motor mount missing that I was unaware of and engine rattling bad. Please help.

Bad ground?

The main engine harness has a ground for the computer somewhere on the intake manifold. Make sure its bolted down tight.

Also check the 2 or 3 connectors on the passenger side of the bellhousing. Unplug them and see if the pins inside are dirty and/or corroded. Make sure the plug back in all the way when you reconnect them.

Bad ground?

The main engine harness has a ground for the computer somewhere on the intake manifold. Make sure its bolted down tight.

Also check the 2 or 3 connectors on the passenger side of the bellhousing. Unplug them and see if the pins inside are dirty and/or corroded. Make sure the plug back in all the way when you reconnect them.

I own a 1990 Legacy LS wagon - 1990 doesnt have the connectors on the bellhousing...

main harness connectors are on the drivers side of the engine, near the windshied washer pump - definitely check them for corrosion and proper connection.

Also check all other grounds - make sure they are clean and tight.

did you replace the missing motor mount?

What kind of plugs and wires did you use?

Basic NGK plugs - BPR6ES-11 - at the proper gap (.044) , are best for this car - it does not need, or want, anything fancy.

Cheap, parts store wires are not recommended, however - Good quality NGK wires work well (FX31), or Subaru factory wires.

Where exactly is the exhaust broken at? if it is before the cat convertor/O2 sensor this could be a source of some of the codes...if the break is after the convertor, however, it's not likely...

What about knock sensor?

and last - but definitely not least - timing? it is very possible the timing is slightly off (by one tooth) and this will cause all kinds of running issues, including throwing multiple codes like you have. A quick search on timing here will provide hours worth of knowledge and entertainment. In all honesty, I would be inclined to look here as the primary source of most of your troubles. 1990 is not a complicated year to work on, and is pretty easy to fix if the timing is off - best part is, it is a non-interference motor so no internal damage - just do a proper timing job* on it and it should be good to go.

* proper timing job includes all idler pulleys (4), belt, cam & crank oil seals, water pump & thermostat (get either Subaru factory or Stant Exacstat thermostat - no cheepies!), tensioner, and checking/tightening the screws on the back of the oil pump. Timing kits with 90% of the above can be had for under $200