Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help with buying brat

Hi guys I was thinking about buying this brat and I was wondering if u guys thought it was worth the 1400 he's askin. he said he was firm at the price and he said the body is straight with no rust. I live 3 hours away from where it is. Thnx

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/4295924893.html

Edited by ShagginWagon

Depends on his definition of a little work.

If it drives decent and there is not much rust on the under side, I would say that is an okay price.

Electrical short could be an issue, I've never been a fan of those things...can be a money pit of problems that never end.

That being said, with the forum here it would probably be traceable with some effort.

I had to give $4500 for mine, the PO had done a fair amount of work to it, paint job, 14" wheels, stereo, roll bar, and a few other things, so some days I feel like I gave too much, but most days I feel as though it is still worth it.

I would request some more pictures before driving that far.

Underside, interior, engine bay, tire tread, inside of the bed, anything else that might come to mind for you.

Anybody else?

If its from bend and it hasn't been ran on the dunes or beach it will have very little surface rust to none at all. Cars from that area can sit in a field for 30+ years and have no rust at all or very light surface rust. It might be worth it or it might not it really depends on how bad you want it. If it runs ok and drives fair its probably worth it but the body is rear hard to judge because of the camo paint job. If the body is in decent shape it would be worth it by its self in parts if it got parted on eBay you would be hoping for ok/fair shape at this price so dings/dents along with missing/broken parts. If its been wheeled and has a bunch of dents and needs a lot it wouldn't be worth it at all unless he talks down on the price to under $1000

The CL ad said it had an EA82 motor.   I would verify this.   It came stock with the EA81 (push rod).    The EA82 has the timing belts.

Check out ALL fluids.  Dirty fluids means no maintenance.   Do a compression check.  Voltmeter the Battery and Alt.   Crawl under it.  Drive it.  Test the 4wd.  How much tread on tires?   Alignment?   Good glass?  Seat Covers... look underneath.  Grill?  All lense covers?   New parts?

The Brat I bought had 4 tractor tires (ya, like Kubota fronts) on 14" rims.    The tires alone were worth $170 each.    So, $400 for the rig was a no brainer.  

I always say I'm firm on price also.... then I usually take less.   Most people price it a few hundred over what they will take.