Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Wheel Bearings Impreza G10

So at 283K seems the right wheel bearing is shot. Not in a good state since when I jacked up the car and tried to turn the wheel, it was not so easy to spin. Yes, it was out of gear... I didn't hear too much crunchy crunch so I have work this weekend. 

Who makes the Subaru bearings for that 1999 Impreza KOYO? NTN?

Any suggestions for one over the other? 

Since I have the bearing heating up pretty good should I replace the hub and/or the knuckle too?

GREAT USELESS INFO - OVER 231 MILLION

with the standard 205 60 R15 tires that bearing has made 231,211,000+ revolutions 

Pop a new bearing in, it should be fine.

A used knuckle is a commonly used option if you can get to a junkyard.

I don't remember the brand off-hand, buy either of those is probably a good bet. Maybe someone else knows for sure and will post.

I got one for my car from rockauto. It was one of the middle price range brands. But I made sure to get one that was rubber sealed. The inner half of the bearing failed because some dirt got in it when I changed the axle about two years before. New bearing with seals built in means no dirt gets in it if I have to change the axle again.

make sure the brake caliper isn't dragging.

Interesting thought there. I rode home today from work and didn't use the brake pedal at all, just the E-brake. Didn't have any horrible shaking. Going to try it again tomorrow. 

Never have had a caliper "lock-up" while driving or cause any problem like this before (25 years of driving) I do notice a little movement when I lift the right side (passenger) front wheel and rock top to bottom. I have some side to side play but the steering rack unit is a little sloppy. Figure as with all things 283k wears on all parts, especially the suspension.