Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82, Valves keep get stuck open!

A couple of years ago my Leone '86 motor broke down and I replaced the motor with another one which came out of a running car.

I started the motor and it ran fine for a few minutes. Drove it around but I felt some power loss. I drove it home and let it cool down. When I tried again the motor wouldn't make any compression and the crank sound was a solid whine...

I took the motor out and I found out that I had some vales stuck open. I got an extra pair of heads and replaced them.

The same happened again when the motor cooled down, tho it never overheated or nothing. Valves stuck open.

I got another complete motor and swapped it in. Same thing happened to that motor. So I gave up and the car has been sitting for a few years.

Do you have any explanation for this or any theories?

- Kristjan

hi,

i have had this happen on other motors, the gas in the tank can cause this if it is " old",   you didn't say how long the car in question had sat  but if you did not replace the old gas with fresh, that is my guess as to why the valves stuck after a warm up run .  i have had it happen to me,  and so has a friend who runs a shop on stuff that sits a year or so.  i do not know just what is going on with the gas, but it seems to create a varnish like on the valve stems as it passes through the heads, it's ok while the motor is hot, but once it  cools down that stuff hardens up and well, stuck valves.  usually, if you can access them and use some chemicals (B-12 type stuff) and a mallet, just thumping them and the spring  they will loosen up and run again, but need to run for a while to clear it up with fresh fuel.  these subaru have pretty good valve stem seals so it might not work,,  the old shield type seals could lift up and spray the stems, then bump them and they begin to loosen up.

Yup, that is caused by dead gas. I've had it happen on a number of engines. You'll have to flush out the tank and lines and use a new filter. Any gummy residue left will dissolve and make it happen again.

I use a portable boat tank and a spare pump to get old engines running now because of this.