Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pulling steering wheel with airbag?

How does one go about disabling the airbag to be able to pull the steering wheel?

I would really like to upgrade the wiper control on my 95 Lego from the single speed intermittent to the adjustable intermittent from the 90 Lego LS

The 95 has airbags and I have never worked on one with airbags before...

I guess I should ask - will the 90 controls (turn signal/wiper controls) work on the 95?

Also want to check the condition of the clockspring - I hear a lot of noise when turning the wheel, especially when going from lock to lock, like when backing out of a tight parking space

Just like any other part, unbolt it and disconnect the connector as needed.  no big deal.  i was a little cautious on the first one i did, now i've repaired so many wrecked and SRS bags, controllers, pretensioners, it's not a big deal. i've never taken any extra steps with them.

Technically speaking, if you like to be more precise, thumb through the FSM - the proper technical procedure is in there. Like disconnect the battery,  pull the SRS fuse, and wear a ground strap so you're not ever charged or something.  But it's not necessary for me, these systems are not set to easily trigger regardless of comments (from people that don't work on them or those that get paid to) about them exploding while you work. But of course as a disclaimer don't listen to me, you should follow all the proper procedures as outlined by SOA!

Edited by grossgary

How does one go about disabling the airbag to be able to pull the steering wheel?

I would really like to upgrade the wiper control on my 95 Lego from the single speed intermittent to the adjustable intermittent from the 90 Lego LS

The 95 has airbags and I have never worked on one with airbags before...

I guess I should ask - will the 90 controls (turn signal/wiper controls) work on the 95?

Also want to check the condition of the clockspring - I hear a lot of noise when turning the wheel, especially when going from lock to lock, like when backing out of a tight parking space r

Disconnect the battery first. It doesn't disable the airbag controller capacitor, but it makes you think about it.

Because I'm usually working alone, I never get in the line of fire. I reach in sideways to remove the pad bolts. Store the removed pad away from things. I put it on top of a cabinet. It is an explosive device.

The clock spring is an enclosed item as I remember, has a ribbon cable that I doubt can be repaired. Actual symptoms include cruise and horn malfunction.

Unhook the battery -, wait about 2 minutes, then hit the brake pedal a few times. This discharges the storage capacitors in the airbag module.

Then before working on the wheel disconnect the yellow connector under the steering column.

Press the yellow release tab so the green slide button pops out, then the connectors pull apart.

The clock-spring itself is not easily serviceable, and not really meant to be taken apart. All it is is a housing for a ribbon cable. On the 95s there is a gear assembly on the front which spins to indicate when the assembly is centered, but its in a sealed chamber and not exposed to dust/dirt. Not likely there is anything wrong with that or the clockspring itself.

You do want to make sure the column cover is clipped together correctly and secured to the column correctly. There could also be just dirt/dust from over the years in between the column cover or clockspring and the wheel.

I removed one once and found a ribbon from a balloon wrapped around the steering shaft. I've also seen those stretchy elastic bands like on the hanging air fresheners wrapped around there before.

Thanks very much guys - I feel a bit better about attempting this now.

I thought I had read somewhere about there being some sort of power storage for the airbags - capacitors make sense...

dirt and crud inside the column is highly likely with this car - have found some pretty icky stuff in places...