Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Third Gen Wagon help needed!

Hey all! So I've been formulating ideas and plans for my 88 GL D/L 4WD wagon over the past few months. I've done a fair amount of research but I'm still not clear on most subjects. Basically I just want to ask a few questions about a couple of the things I have in mind. Please bear with me here because a lot of this will more than likely be a lot of rambling and running on but I really would appreciate some help and advice!

1.Roof rack-I really dig roof racks especially on wagons so I'd like to get one on here! I'm sort of looking to go for a somewhat old school/retro look with this whole thing so like a rack or basket with wooden slats is what I'd like to somehow fabricate or modify to have. How should I go about mounting it though that would probably be the easiest and effective? There is a junkyard nearby that has several L series Subarus and there's a few with roof racks, could I buy one and drill holes into my roof to mount it?

2.Wheels-It currently has the stock steelies which is alright but tires for 13 inch wheels are difficult to get a hold of these days I've been told. At the same junkyard I mentioned before there is a Peugeot 505 which would have the same bolt pattern, however I don't know if the wheels are still at the junkyard. If so and if they're the right price would I have to make any changes to my car to make it work? I really don't know all that much about wheels are tires but I'm assuming if you have a bigger wheel the tires will have to be taller which could cause rubbing in the wheel well? If the Pugs aren't there then there's not much else for options except a five lug swap or drill out some other wheels. What do you guys suggest?

3.Fog lights-Honestly I'm really surprised because I've searched through these forums for posts on fogs and or driving lights and have yet to find like anything. I have a pair of amber Grote fog lights that I'll probably mount under the front bumper. Any special wiring or mounting tips/advice?

4.Suspension-Really not a big concern of mine but it'd be cool to either lift or lower this thing. I don't want to slam it nor just jack it up but rather go up or down like an 1-4 inches. If there's a cheap and relatively simple bolt in way to lower or raise it then I'll do it. I've seen a couple posts about using some generic coil overs from E Bay but what would I need to modify or change to make it work?

5.Fender Mirrors-I've seen a handful of L series Subies with these and correct me if I'm wrong but earlier ones could be had from the factory with them? I really dig how they look and I'm sure they're actually somewhat useful because you don't have to turn your head away from the road to see them. On E Bay I've seen some Toyota Starlet OEM fender mirrors for around $70. Could these be made to work? I'm thinking all it would entail is drilling holes in the fenders and taking off the original mirrors and making plates to cover the holes.

6.Trim-This is more of a repair question. The chrome trim and seal around the windshield is all loose and broken, how do I go about resealing it? The chrome/black plastic trim that runs around the top of the windows/ hatch is coming off at spots and is revealing the entire chrome trim. Personally I don't much care for the chrome in the first place and just want to take the rest the plastic off and the paint over the chrome. Paint doesn't adhere to chrome very well though does it? How should I go about this?

As of now that's all I can really think of so if anyone could help enlighten me on some of these issues it'd be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I'll put in some of my advice on a couple of these points:

2- Those wheels will work fine if you get them. There are also small 14" tires that are available which don't have much more outside diameter than your stock wheels/tires. If I'm correct, 185/70R13 tires are 23" in outside diameter. Pick up some 14" tires that are about that size (175/70R14 is about the same; look up "tire calculator" on Google). Any larger (I think 25" or more) will rub unless you're lifted.

3- I think a lot of people have fog lights, but they're simple to install so there's no write-ups on 'em. I have fog lights under my bumper, and I have them wired up to a relay. My recommendation is to always wire up to a relay. If you do direct, the switch may get very hot after some use and start smoking (has happened to me). Also, if you put lights under the bumper, be aware they may be subject to damage from offroading. I lost a fog light light whilst offroading (twice, actually), and have since installed $15 "mini" fog lights from Harbor Freight. They hang no lower than my license plate (which I haven't damaged yet), but they'll be cheap to replace if need be. They're also easy to install; you just need to drill two holes in your bumper. I posted some pictures of my old fog lights in the following thread; maybe it'll give you some ideas on mounting: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/134769-ea82-alternator-upgrade/?do=findComment&comment=1133181

4- A 2" lift is pretty easy and cheap (especially if you buy a used one or build your own). It's just bolt-in, although a front subframe drop (and steering link extension) won't kill your front axles as quickly. The front lift is a little tricky to get on, especially if your car is stuck together (like mine was). It might take a lot of hammering to get it apart.

5- I used to run fender mirrors (until I damaged them in a ditch). I bought them from eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-Starlet-KP61-KP47-Corolla-KE70-KE75-AE70-TE71-TE72-fender-mirror-/360655815229?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f8c3023d&vxp=mtr). They took about a month to arrive at my house, but I liked having them. But like I said, I damaged them offroading and I'm not going to order another set (I'll probably damage them again). And in case you're wondering, yes, '85 and '86 models outside of the United States had fender mirrors (in some countries).

Here are some pictures of my wagon. These were when I had fender mirrors, before I lifted it, and when I had my old fog lights on. I've also included some interior pictures of the fender mirrors, so you can get an idea of what they're like from the driver's view.

1025273_10202108632429248_161235125_o.jp

906198_10201894183268153_1302088518_o.jp

1009717_10201887908751294_1440885281_o.j

1465923_10201974820524034_1080357716_o.j

Thanks jj421!

3.Good point with them breaking off and such. I'll figure it out. Where do you have your switch mounted for them? I'm thinking I could use the blank switch for what would be the air suspension for the lights.

4.In your opinion does a 2' lift make a big difference at all in any way besides appearance? Sure there is more ground clearance but has the added height been beneficial for you?

5. How did you go about mounting the fender mirrors and what'd you do with the old mirror?

3. Again, you can get "slim" fog lights for under the bumper. As long as they don't hang below the license plate, you should be okay. Yes, they can still be damaged, but in the two years I've owned my wagon, I have not damaged my front license plate yet. As far ask the switch goes, I still have the setup that I posted a picture of in thread I linked to in my previous post. However, I plan to move the switches to the blank panel where the power mirror controls are supposed to go to. Once I add some offroad lights (plan on doing that next paycheck), I'm putting the light switch(es) next to the shifter or next to the radio.

4. Does a 2" lift make a difference? Heck yeah it does! For one, you've got a lot more clearance. My lift/tire combo has gained me 5"-6" of clearance at the rear diff, rocker panels, and front skid plate. You can go through deeper snow with the lift and you can go on more difficult trails. Also, with a lift, you can put bigger wheels/tires on the car. With 14" wheels, there's A LOT more tires available. A lot better offroad tires too. Lifting my car was one of the best things I've done. Looks awesome (I've gotten a lot of compliments from strangers), wide variety of tires available (my tires are awesome in all terrains besides deep mud), and the ground clearance lets me go lots of places (really useful since I live out in a semi-rural area).

5. To mount the fender mirrors, you drill two holes in the fender. The mirror itself has two studs on it, which you put through the holes and put nuts on the other side. This requires at least partial removal of the fender. I took the old mirrors off (remove the little triangle piece on the inside and it reveals three screws). What's left without the mirrors looks like Swiss cheese, so I put black duct tape over it. I was planning on taking sheet metal, cutting it shape, and putting it there (painting it black, too). But I never got around to it.