Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Really bad compression results! :<

90 awd 5 speed n/a with 130,000 miles. Was sitting for two years until now.

Standing in front of car, looking at engine. (I performed the test correctly)

Dry-

120 140

160 180

Wet-

150 150

180 190

I just bought the car so I don't know if it burns fluid. It does leak oil from like every seal in the engine bay.

The numbers are bazar and make me worried. What do you guys think?

Personally, I would put a few miles on it then test again.. at least full tank of gas. Also running some type of engine treatment may help too, the rings could just be gunked up and are sticking. Enough varnish can definitely cause temporary low compression and lots of smokey blowby.

Your cylinder #1 and #2 are great, but the numbers should be +/- 10% across all 4.

I tested a car one time, got 40/60/20/20 as the high numbers in an inline four. It started and ran, but the blowby was pushing out a quart every 100 miles. 

Bizarre is a matter of perspective. 

A car sitting for long periods these days usually has more problems with gasahol than oil. Nonetheless, simple atmospheric water will eventually enter the engine and will start cylinders rusting. The oil film is extremely thin when the rings scrape by, it's exactly their job to do that. It's why "fogging oil" is sold to lubricate cylinders on engines that will be stored for lengthy periods. 

I'd run some engine cleaner like Marvel Mystery oil in it for a tank of gas, then change the oil on the first or second fill up as the rust will be largely gone and suspended in the oil or more hopefully, trapped in the filter. There is a long list of things to do to properly store a car long term, most just park it and don't look back.That causes lots of issues on the next start up. 

Unless there is some running condition, power loss, or misfire problem, I wouldn't even worry about it.

An engine sitting for a long period will have rust in the cylinders which needs to be cleared out by running it.

Also you probably don't have any idea of the maintenance habits (oil changes, etc) of the previous owner. The low numbers could just be because the rings are stuck in the pistons. Fresh oil and regular driving can help to free them up.

Put a couple hundred miles on it, change the oil and re-check compression after 1,000 miles if you're still worried about it, but its really not worth worrying about.

Like Tirod responded.........add a can of Marvel Mystery Oil to the crank case. The product is a high detergent, and will hep clean, and lube the engine passageways. I would change the oil and filter after 3 tank fulls of gas. Good chance MMO will improve performance.

I would also add 1 gallon of E-85 gasahol, then fill tank rest of tank with unleaded regular. The E-85 will help absorb any water in the gas tank, and clean the fuel system.