Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 LGT, Post Sunroof Repair, rear crossmember welded nuts....

my 99 LGT had a leaky sunroof for a while due to the previous owner being a douchebag owner.   the drain hoses had come off and he was too stupid to know how to repair,

so im gonna be dropping the rear cross member and trailing arm brackets, im wondering the probability of the welded nuts that they bolt into being rusted/siezed up inside the frame due to the water leak?  

anyone dealt with this before?   if it is siezed up or if the welded nut busts off due to slight siezing, can i just drill a hole thru the top of the frame and stick a socket on it?   and then afterwards, i assume i just weld it shut?

thanks..   (Mods: if this is better suited elsewhere please feel free to move it)

Edited by xbeerd

I had this happen on my last Civic.  One of the bolts holding an engine mount (removal required to change belts) went into a captive nut inside a hidden little frame compartment along the wheel well.  I cut a little access opening and got a socket on it.  I just left it open since I just used a new nut there (not welded into place).  I meant to cover the opening with some bondo or something to help reduce the corrosion on the new nut/bolt but sold the car before I got around to it...

ok, i just wasnt sure if the sunroof drains could let water get down in there if they were just draining into the body with no hoses at the rear.  the rear seats carpet was soaked when i got the car from dude, sad thing is, he's the kinda hack job that woulda caulked the sunroof shut when it was leaking and the cables pulled out.  but i guess he was too drunk that year to do any hackjob at all.   very non derserving subaru owner.  ugh.