Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 legacy 2.2 i just picked up and axles

i have driven this car a few hundred miles. loud clicking on a left turn.and some shaking at speed

jacked it up and looked and there are 2 almost new axles in it. so im looking around and i see a new cat and no oil leaks anyware. looking good. then i touch the axle and there are NO roll pins in either axle!!.really? im really suprised they didnt fall off the trans.

i put a used axle from a 96 gt in it and the cvd is much larger in diameter  on the used one. these "new" ones look like junk.

are the GT axles (2.5) physically bigger ? or are these new ones chinese junk?

No difference between axles for GT, L, Outback, or any other model from 1990 to 2009 at least.

In 2000 they put the tone wheel for the ABS on the end of the axle but that is easily removed/installed.

Aftermarket axles are notorious for being crap.

Most of them have significantly larger cups than the stock Subaru axles, and they break all the time.

OE subaru acles are MUCH higher quality, even if the boots are split. Use car-part.com to find good used Subaru axles with the green cups, or search the pick-n-pull type yards. Usually less than $35. Re-boot them if needed.