Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber Carb and Emmisions, EA71

Try adding 2 oz of acetone per gallon of gas.Go to the testing place with 1/4 tank.if you pass fill up with normal gas to dilute the mixture because the acetone can degrade fuel lines and other rubber parts in short order.

If the internet can be trusted people can get cars with performance carbs and no cats to pass with a little acetone..

But you have to have all the emissions stuff in place on your car here in California. Part of their "visual" inspection.

I do have all the emissions equipment hooked up and it is all functioning properly. If the car came with a catalytic converter it would have passed already. The plan is to drive the car for the 30 days that I have the temporary operating permit for. Get the motor broken in, turn back the timing and air/fuel and then retest it. My mechanics say it should pass. And if not, I will either go back to the stock carb or add a cat to the exhaust.

As far as cali visual test do you think the tester will be familar with what emmissions equipment where on a gen 1 brat in the first place.Its not like a 80's chevy that has a smog pump and a cat...

Edited by Uberoo

Like I said how that guy even know if everything was hooked up without you telling him what each thing was?If it passed and you didn't tell him anything he would just assume that everything is there and working correctly.You told him enough to undermine his position of power/knowledge, so to make him feel better he went for the book to double check what you said and find something you might have missed.

Edited by Uberoo

• 3 weeks later...