Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This seems to be pretty common with Subies with a few variations and the other day I got one.

Driving with everything fine on my 2000 Outback sedan, mileage 233,000, fluid changed with Max Life a few months ago and the light comes on when I decelerated and continued flashing.

I stopped,  checked fluid level = fine, restarted, no light for rest of day.

On restart the light doesn't flash the 16 times, I have read about, but the flashing light comes on about every 40 miles with what seems to be a hard downshift = light clunk.  Stop car, restart - no light for another 40 or so miles.  Car shifts and runs very well.

I read where a MAF sensor (mine has the MAP) can bring something like this on and I did find an OBDII code for MAP circuit.  I have another MAP sensor to try in it.

Open to suggestions/comments.  Appreciate the help, as always.

Edited by farmer

i had a similar problem,

either flashing or on constantly while driving and NO light at start up.

but mine also down shifted for no reason.

it would shift all the way up, but then down for no reason.

if i shifted down manually,

it would shift down yet again.

i finally found a loose ground wire left over from the head gasket job months earlier.

once i tightened that up all was good.

check your ground wires.

ps: i could find nothing in the manual that addressed my AT Temp light situation.

nothing about it being on when the car was running.

good luck.

Edited by johnceggleston

Thanks a lot for the replies.  I have the MAP sensor and got a code for that, so I replaced it.

And John, I'll go over that thing for grounds.  I found three, so I'll disconnect and clean them up.

Appreciate the help,

Well, I'm not getting any stored codes for the AT on this one, so I'm guessing the problem is in the MAP or wiring for it.

Nice to see this many grounds on a car, though.  Guess it means you won't have any problems. :lol:

Well, cleaned a handful of grounds and the map sensor with a little carb cleaner.  70 miles round trip to work and no flashing light.

I see why the MAP or MAF might bring on a code in the tranny.  Either would be part of the engine load logic that controls the shifting.

I'll keep cleaning grounds.  There are supposed to be 31 on this car, so I've only just begun.

After about 150 miles the flashing AT Oil Temp Light hasn't come back nor has the P0107 OBD code.  I'll give it a week, then log it into my post that has all the other things I've had with this little Subie. 

So far what I did was clean the grounds to intake manifold coming off the battery terminal plus two others from body to engine and cleaned the MAP sensor with carb spray. I also messed with wires at the MAP wiring connection.  The latter could have something to do with it.  I had the same thing on the engine temp sensor (for the computer) to get the cooling fans working again.  They must just get a little corrosion inside the insulation of the connector.

Edited by farmer