Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys,

Bought a vehicle from craigslist not that while ago ( Subaru legacy 2004), and in a day or two transmission started leaking, I looked underneath and discovered that there's no driveshaft attached and the transmission has a big crack. I already got the transmission, and was wondering if it's okay to drive it as is without a drive shaft?

Wouldn't it damage the tranny, computer wouldn't have any problems with it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hope you got a great deal!

You didn't say auto or manual trans, but either will leak fluid out the tail shaft if the rear driveshaft is not installed.

Best to get the shaft and install it.

If it's just the tail shaft housing that is bad you may just be able to replace it, the trans may be fine.

Oh sorry, it's auto transmission. The thing is that I was driving like this for a while just with adding some trans fluid, then my girlfriend took a car and forgot to put the fluid regulatory (every 100 miles or so) so the transmission got damaged and now it's not going higher than 2 gear, sometimes it won't go even to the 2 :( 

Probably safe to say that between you, your girlfriend and the PO that your trans is roasted. Driving these without adequate fluid will kill them fast. Sounds like the guy you bought it from pulled a fast one. probably a torque bind issue that he hid by pulling the drive shaft so the trans was likely in need of work or replacement anyway.

Start searching junkyards or dismantlers/ craigslist and car-part.com for a replacement. Most Legacy transmissions from 2000-2004 will be a match. Lower end impreza from 2000 on should as well. Non-matching - outback, Forester, Impreza RS  etc. can be matched to your car by swapping the rear differential in so the car has the same final drive ratio.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just bought the driveshaft for my legacy, about to change the transmission and driveshaft. One thing is stopping me, I don't have the bolts for the driveshaft (4 at the end, and 2 supporting the middle). Tried to call autozone, but they can not look up the bolts. Any suggestions where I should look at or the sizes of the bolts? 

Thank you!

Use www.opposedforces.com to look up the part.

I think yours might be this one, but I'm not totally sure based on your posted info.

Hmm, with opposedforces, you get the Subaru part number.  Then if you use that part number on a Subaru dealer site (e.g. www.1stsubaruparts.com)  you only get the useful name of "BOLT" when you look up the part number.  I don't know why they don't actually tell you the bolt size on the diagram.  Does someone have another source for figuring out the bolt sizes?  You could hit the local hardware store and get selection of metric bolts to see what fits. 

Or I bet someone here knows the size...