Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! 02 sensor threads rusted to fitting cracked weld on CAT

ha ha, the entire bung sheared off!?

exhaust shops routinely weld in new bungs, they've got them by the boxes and do it all the time. 

clean it it up well, get all that rust off there and you can easily weld in a new one or the old one.  i'd use a new O2 sensor bung so it's fresh, clean metal.

you can weld so you won't need this but if anyone else ever finds this thread, a non-welding repair might be to get a tap and thread the hole for a spark-plug non-fouler (O2 extender) and just thread it in.

Edited by grossgary

that was my first thought fairtax but its saterday so they are all closed.... the one I spoke with said they could do it but not untill monday and for $85... my thought a new harbor freight arc welder is $100 I'm going to spend the extra $15 and go all Jeremy Clarkson! but first to parts n wrecks in sacramento for a new to me ypipe. I just hope I don't need 02 sensors on top of this but C'est la vie

btw take a look at this after market crimp and twist courtesy of a rock I hit at 50mph... honeycomb looks shiny clean and intact! way better than I was expecting!

1959289_10154187905165372_33616230954396

Yeah that's a nice custom bend for sure.

Just tap the cat with a mallet a few times and see if it rattles. If it sounds solid then its good.

$85!?! That's three minutes with a wire brush and less than a minute of weld! Is there a welding shop in your area? I had a filler neck TIG welded back onto an aluminum radiator for a 4 wheeler for $50, and he had to straighten part of the end tank before he could weld it back together. And the guy did it while I waited.

Seriously, $85 sounds like way too much. If I had my welding gear up here I'd offer to do it for you. 

If you do pick up a welder be aware that the HF ones are pretty shitty. Practice on other stuff first, too.