Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 91 legacy wagon converting to an off roader, was wondering what newer engines and drive train and suspension is possible to fit in a first gen leggy. I want to make it as updated as possible as its 23 years old and the engine is at 217K. Subaru engines only.. something with more base power to build on

post-53476-0-91948400-1400887794_thumb.jpg

The 2.2 motor you have in your 91 could be replaced with a 2.2 up to 1994, and be plug and play with OBD1 engine monitoring system. Starting in 1995, Subaru went to OBD2 engine monitoring system, As a result, the engine wiring, and engine computer ( ECU) changed, along with sensors talking with an auto tranny. This would be difficult to transplant in to your car. However, it may be possible if your 91 off roader is a bare bones "rat rod" running a 5 speed tranny.

Put a 2.5 block between your existing 2.2 heads. You keep all your original electronics, but gain displacement and almost 30 horsepower due to the higher compression.

Swap the valve train to roller cams with solid lash adjusters from a 97-98 2.2 to reduce valve train friction and free up some extra power. You could also look into a set of Delta Cams for more bottom end.

Any EJ transmission you want will bolt in. Just need to make sure to get the matching rear end for correct final drive ratio. If you want an automatic it gets tricky with differences in wiring. But manuals are pretty cut and dry.

There is a lot of info about suspension floating around here. I'm not sure of exact details on the early first gens, but there are plenty of people who have lifted those with struts from 95-99 Outback and 98-07 Forester models.

Do you think switching to a full obd2 system would be possible for less than a few grand? Minus cost of parts for a new engine and transmission. I want a new car underneath! I don't mind if its a Frankenstein car and needs to be rigged to get a larger engine I was thinking a 2.5 turbo from any year and its a 5 speed but if I could I would put a full new 30,000$ wrx underneath the car if I wanted to do that eventually is that even possible

Do you think switching to a full obd2 system would be possible for less than a few grand? Minus cost of parts for a new engine and transmission. I want a new car underneath! I don't mind if its a Frankenstein car and needs to be rigged to get a larger engine I was thinking a 2.5 turbo from any year and its a 5 speed but if I could I would put a full new 30,000$ wrx underneath the car if I wanted to do that eventually is that even possible

you would have to do some serious rewiring to go any newer than 94 - ECU, and all related wiring harnesses - MAJOR undertaking as everything got changed starting in the 95 model year.

the EJ22 you have is probably one of the most "bulletproof" motors that Subaru ever made. with decent care and maintenance there is no reason it cant last another 100K or more. I have a 1990 with over 265,000 on it and still runs great.

my personal opinion - pull it out, do a cleanup and reseal & put it back in.

If you just absolutely have to have more hp, then do what Fairtax advised - 2.5 block, 2.2 heads & intake.

Heads don't have a bore.

The 2.2 heads have a smaller combustion chamber so it bumps up the compression ratio.

Im not certain of suspension specifics for a 91, but you can bolt pretty much any Impreza strut up to 2007 into there. The top hats and springs are where it gets tricky and you need to play mix and match and/or drill some holes, but nothing too major. Do some searching and decide if you want to go higher or lower or same height, that will determine which spring and strut combo you need to go with.

There isn't much that will add power to the 2.2. Cams, intake, and exhaust are about all you can do, and get 10 maybe 20 more horses on the top end. But It'll still make 300k as long as you keep up with maintenance.

This place will be your best bet for first gen Legacy specific info: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/

Edited by Fairtax4me