Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL TURBO WEEKEND RACECAR PROJECT

I just bought a 86 gl turbo 4 door, i intend to make a weekend racecar out of it, possibly a full track car out of it. i need to drop the ea82 out an swap a diffrent subaru motor in, i have some questiions though? I have a decent 5 speed an transfer case plus a decent running ea82 turbo, are they worth anything? Also can i swap to full time awd imprezza motor or legacy motor an transmission into this car? i want to lower it an get good coil overs an shoot for 200-250hp with a turbo set up. thanks

easiest bet is to put the EJ motor onto the trans you have.  SJR makes adaptor kits that are very reasonable.  not just a drop in (especially with a turbo), but its well documented and fairly straight forward.  I'm sure you can fab in the trans as well, but its obviously a lot more work in fabin up mounts and shortening / lengthening drivelines.  also the CV's are different in some cases so you may have to use hybrid axles depending on parts and years.  

for a track car id say your a generation off.  the newer gen stuff is much better all around for that, more power, better suspension, better brakes, 5 lug larger wheels, etc.  you can technically swap most of the suspension as well as the motor and such, but it quickly gets to the point where its better just to buy a different starting point.

that said you wagon would make for a decently light little car if you strip it out for the track.

If your wanting over 200Hp your only option is turbo Ej22 or 25. A franken motor can make almost 200hp and is a na but it has to be built. As far as transmission no ea tranny will hold that much Hp for very long. The major advantage to the older wagons is they are a lot lighter than the newer ej cars close to 800lbs difference, making the horse to weight ratio a major advantage.. The best bet for racing in this GL would be full ej engine, trans, suspension swap. this would eliminate any adapter plates flywheel drilling, blown ea transmissions and more money down the road. and give you the option of 5 lug wheels and stronger axles. 

As far as your turbo ea its not worth dumping money into as they dont have the longevity of a na ej engine. 

prwa