Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SVX - No start, crank angle sensor question

I just installed 1992 SVX 3.3 in my westfalia and the van fired right up and I was bleeding the coolant lines and the van shut off after about 15 mins of idling.  I now get a code 11, crank angle sensor fault.  I checked the continutiy between the sensor plug and the ecu and all was good. I will be replacing this in the next few days but what does this sensor effect?  I get no injector pulse or no spark, is this what happens if the crank angle sensor goes?

Thanks,

Jon

Yes, crank sensors will affect fuel and spark. The ECU uses the sensor to determine crankshaft angle so it knows when to pulse injectors and when to fire the coils. Without crank sensor input, it has no clue where the crankshaft is in relation to the firing order, so it can't give the commands for proper fuel and spark timing.

can use a outback one in it's place more reliable

Which year outback sensors will work?  I've already ordered the PC203 but if it's cheaper then $160, if I have to replace it again I'll do that.  What about the cam angle sensor PC180, is there a cheaper alternative then $160.  Also, in case mine is pooched, would I be able to use an F9 ecu from a 1992 or 1995 legacy?  It looks like the connectors are the same.  I've read that there might be some differences with the injectors.  But I could swap them too.  There is a lot more of these at the scrap yard then SVXs!

Thanks for the replies

Jon

Edited by Jon H.