Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found a 91 XT6. A few questions

I've got a lead on a 91 XT6. I have a few questions about some issues it has. This is what is posted about it: Fun little car, runs ok. V6, 5 speed with all wheel drive, Has had better days. Some new parts, but needs work. No power steering, No air shocks, read diff is locked in the on position and, it needs new CV boots in the back. My question is: How hard is it to find the parts for this? I know the power steering pump and the air ride are always a problem. What would cause the rear diff to be stuck in the locked position. If it can be fixed easily I may consider making a offer. Thoughts?

Thanks.

I think the steering may be hard to find.  Ditch the air suspension and put on normal coil over struts.  If the diff is locked its probably the center diff (you are referring to the diff lock switch right??)  Hopefully its just bound up and jacking up the car will free it.  Its also a flat 6, not a V6 (its pretty much 1 and a half EA82's)

Power steering is an easy fix. remove the end piece of the motor, blow out the dust and install new brushes. $20 fix. Check the fluid. Needs to be yellow as the system uses a specific type of fluid. Can still buy it for around $30. Suspension can be replaced with conventional struts but not as easy as  fixing the power steering. Rear differential is just a standard 3.90 ratio. subaru used it in the GLs and Loyales. Rear axles can probably just be greased and rebooted but getting them out sometimes can be a real bear. I won't pay anymore than what a scrap yard will pay for it. Owned 5 over the years and really a great car. 

I used to have a 88 XT. I loved it. Always wanted the power of the 2.7L. Got to be a big change over the 1.8L non turbo. Guy wants $1100 for it. I used to know these cars fairly well. Isn't it called the cybrid power steering pump?

I used to have a 88 XT. I loved it. Always wanted the power of the 2.7L. Got to be a big change over the 1.8L non turbo. Guy wants $1100 for it. I used to know these cars fairly well. Isn't it called the cybrid power steering pump?

Affirmative on the power steering pump. The actual pump never fails. It is always the electric motor when its brushes wear out. $1100 would be way too much in my opinion because there are always other problems with used cars. Post over on subaruxt.com with some photos. Members there, all XT6 fanatics, will offer good advice. Not quite understanding what you mean with the "rear differential locked" statement. The rear differential doesn't have a locking feature.