Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car Did Nothing When Attempting To Start

I have a 96 impreza obw and yesterday I went to start my car to leave work and nothing happened. I got a jump from a friend b/c at first I thought I had a dead battery but everything in the interior worked as well as my exterior lights. The car made absolutely no sounds...no clicking, nothing. I thought maybe the alternator but I always assumed the battery would either be completely dead or still make attempt to turn the car over even if the alternator was dead. The fuel filter and lines as well as spark wires and plugs are all only 2 months (or less) old. I tried pumping the gas, starting it in nuetral, still nothing. Finally after like 10 minutes and standing around scratching my head it started right up just fine and drove fine. Ive stopped and started it several times since...still have no idea what could have caused it. I'm taking a 500+ mile trip down to Bend, OR and through some remote country and I'd rather it not happen again...anyone have any ideas on what my problem could have been/is? The only other symptom I have with my car is it leaks a bit of oil and the engine runs hot and has a burning smell sometimes but I figure thats normal on a car pushing close to 250k.

You may have a bad battery connection. Recommend you remove the battery cables, clean the battery post and cable connectors, and re-attach. There is a small wire brush tool specifically designed for this purpose. Nice to have, if you don't already have one.

Also possible that the automatic gear selector wiring may be worn, so it is not getting a connection there.

Could also be an issue with the starter. Start carrying a hammer with you in the car. If same problem happens again, then tap gently on the starter with the hammer. That can help the starter brushes get a better contact to start the car.

• Like 2

You may have a bad battery connection. Recommend you remove the battery cables, clean the battery post and cable connectors, and re-attach. There is a small wire brush tool specifically designed for this purpose. Nice to have, if you don't already have one.

Also possible that the automatic gear selector wiring may be worn, so it is not getting a connection there.

Could also be an issue with the starter. Start carrying a hammer with you in the car. If same problem happens again, then tap gently on the starter with the hammer. That can help the starter brushes get a better contact to start the car.

The battery coonections were cleaned last month and are nice and shiny and hooked up real sturdy like. I will start carrying the hammer though...thanks for that tip. I'm going to take the battery in tonight to have it tested and make sure its still good.

The battery coonections were cleaned last month and are nice and shiny and hooked up real sturdy like. I will start carrying the hammer though...thanks for that tip. I'm going to take the battery in tonight to have it tested and make sure its still good.

Since the interior and exterior lights were good and bright, I doubt that your battery is the problem. Also, since after a wait, the car started up just fine, that is an indication that it is not the battery. Since you cleaned the battery cables and posts, that is not the problem. My instincts think it is prolly the starter, even more so, if the starter is old. It would be good it the problem would happen again, and a few light taps to the starter fixes the problem, then vote is heavily bad starter.

If you are handy with a wrench, and experienced replacing starters, alternators, and such, then it might be a good idea to buy a starter, and take it with you on the 600 mile trip as insurance. If not needed, then it could be returned for a refund..............er maybe not.  Parts stores don't like giving refunds on electrical parts, but doesn't hurt to ask first.

• Like 1

Since the interior and exterior lights were good and bright, I doubt that your battery is the problem. Also, since after a wait, the car started up just fine, that is an indication that it is not the battery. Since you cleaned the battery cables and posts, that is not the problem. My instincts think it is prolly the starter, even more so, if the starter is old. It would be good it the problem would happen again, and a few light taps to the starter fixes the problem, then vote is heavily bad starter.

If you are handy with a wrench, and experienced replacing starters, alternators, and such, then it might be a good idea to buy a starter, and take it with you on the 600 mile trip as insurance. If not needed, then it could be returned for a refund..............er maybe not.  Parts stores don't like giving refunds on electrical parts, but doesn't hurt to ask first.

This is great advice! Never thought about bringing along the part I think might be bad. Ill make sure to have a starter in my car. Autozone always takes spoob back

This is great advice! Never thought about bringing along the part I think might be bad. Ill make sure to have a starter in my car. Autozone always takes spoob back

Be sure to take some hand tools too, if you need to install while on the trip

Sounds like a starter.

Do you have a multi-meter or volt-meter?  If so, check to see how much voltage you have at the "S" terminal of the starter while cranking.  If this is low, it can cause a condition where it will start sometimes, and not others.  It should be battery voltage.  You could have an ignition switch going out, although the starter is more likely.  If you can't find the problem, you can also keep something in the car to apply voltage to the "S" terminal of the starter (remote starter switch, piece of wire, screwdriver, ect.).  If it won't start with the key, but will when jumping power directly to the starter, then your problem is either in the switch, wiring, relay, or an anti-theft device.