Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacement engine for 1999 Imprezza Outback 2.2

I am needing advise as  to which engine and trans combination I can use in my  1999 Imprezza Outback. It has an EJ22, single OHC, manual 5 speed trans TY754VA1AA. The final drive ratio is 3.900. The vin # 6 digit is 4. The engine/trans mating surfaces have holes for 8 bolts/studs not including locating pins. I am OK with switching to an Automatic trans setup.though that requires new linkage and such, probably driveline also.If I switch to auto I wonder if I need new wiring/ECM and rear Differential. I had ordered an Engine/Trans unit from JDM, was assured it would fit...HAH! they sent me a 2wd trans with it.  Not even close.  Any thoughts or suggestions are greatky appreciated. .. 

1999-2001 Legacy or Impreza engines with 2.2 engine size only.   Trans is easiest if you match back to the same tranny code.  Try car-part.com for a used trans.  I would recommend fixing the engine that came with the car if at all possible.  We rebuild them at RetroRoo if you run out of options and we have a running core that may only need head gaskets but we haven't investigated yet.

Shawn

Is there something wrong with your trans? You can grab a 2.2/5speed set out of pretty much anything with a 3.90 final drive. Early legacy, obs, whatever. If you get an older 2.2 you just have to put your original heads on the older block an it'll work fine.

the 8 bolt bellhousing doesn't matter - you can bolt 4 and 8 bolt stuff together - the 4 holes will line up, leave the rest empty.  it doesn't matter.

the FWD trans may work in your vehicle.

what is wrong with the existing engine/vehicle?

Direct plug and play engines are:
1999 Legacy 2.2

1999-2001 Impreza 2.2

If you grab a dual port exhaust manifold (very easy to get) you can also use:
1999 Forester and Impreza RS 2.5 liters

2000 - 2004 ALL 2.5 liter engines.

Can even use 2005+ but you probably won't go that route anyway.

Don't convert it to automatic - the TCU, gearing, wiring would be atrocious to deal with.

Unless you were trying to be uber-cheap - install an automatic and don't do anything at all - no TCU, no wiring harness.  it'll run in mechanical mode - 3rd gear locked 4WD.  you install a switch into the Duty C circuit - one wire - so you can toggle between FWD and 4WD and the car is perfectly drivable, a bit slow on takes off in 3rd gear.  i've done it.

Thank you for your reply's...so, Grossgary, you are saying that the 98 2.2 Legacy motor they sent me will mate to my TY754 transmission? I only considered replacing my current trans as I was buying an engine/trans package.I am not happy about using my current cyl heads on replacement engine...they might be bad. My current trans works fine. The reason I am replacing my engine is because of severe overheating which continued after Headgasket replacement....It has new radiator,waterpump,t-stat. I like the idea of switching to a 2.5 because they seem readily available and a bit cheaper.....I would have to replace the ECM? Wiring should be same? I know that both engines were listed as options for my original build.

the 98 engine will bolt to the 99 transmission - it'll bolt to ANY EJ, EG, or EZ engine from 1990 - 2010 actually, no big deal there.

1998's have 8 bolt bellhousings anyway, but even if it's a 4 like 1997 and earlier it'll still bolt up just fine.

The 2.5 engines have significant headgasket issues - be informed and choose wisely.

But they do not require swapping ECU or any wiring as long as they're 2000+ EJ25's (and 99 Forester/Impreza RS).

Bolt the EJ25 engine in place, bolt the Ej22 intake manifold to it and it's the "same" engine as far as the wiring/ECU is concerned. 

It is pointless to swap EJ ECU's.

EJ non-turbo heads are extremely robust, i'd reuse heads unless there's evidence of the timing covers or knock sensor melting or really bad overheating like until the point of engine shutting down on it's own or something.  So i understand wanting to move on from those.

But if you were still deciding you can bolt 99 heads to the 98 engine block and then you'd be using all the Phase II intake manifold, etc.

Ok...update. I am returning that assembly for the proper year replacement. Pics look good. The swap will be pretty much plug and play after i replace headgaskets ,valve guide seals and other rubber. Looking forward to many miles of trouble free use :) May have to swap intake, but no biggee. I would have liked to use the 2.5 for a little more power, but my goal is proper replacement and reliability.