Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I have a Subaru powered VW with a 94 ej22 in it. I am wondering if the intake from the 94 will fit a 98 engine. I wonder because my motor is getting tired and here in Ca I am supposed to use the 94 engine for smog reasons.

I would like to go to the mechanical lifters and the 98, I think, still  has the dual port exhaust. All my sensors and such will remain the same.

Thanks

Yep. Same block. Intake will match. 98 Motor is single port exhaust though, so you would want a matching y pipe. Also, there became options for EGR vs. Non EGR in those later years. You would just need to plug the back of the head if the 98 motor were EGR. There's a specific oil pug somewhere that threads right in.

Thanks for the reply. My intention is to use the 2 port exhaust system I have as it is made to fit the van. I thought 98 was the last 2 port motor. Ill look some more. Maybe the 97? I am just trying to get the latest motor with hopefully the fewest ,miles on it.

The dual port continued in the 2.5 DOHC motors of the 90s but they were known for frequent head gasket issues.

I think the Ej22 motor switched to mechanical lifters the same year that it went to single port exhaust.

Generally the 90-96 motors are considered the most reliable since they are non interference. What's wrong with your current motor?

The dual port continued in the 2.5 DOHC motors of the 90s but they were known for frequent head gasket issues.

I think the Ej22 motor switched to mechanical lifters the same year that it went to single port exhaust.

Generally the 90-96 motors are considered the most reliable since they are non interference. What's wrong with your current motor?

The lifter switch was in 97....along with the interference pistons and cam.

Single port began in 96......Roller cam, hydro lifter

last year of dual port is 95........Roller follower cam, but still hydro lifter.

90-94 Dual port, flat follower, hydro lifters.

If you really want the roller/solid lifters you can use the cams and rocker set from a 97 or 98 2.2 (99 the whole heads changed)

So, it seems you should be looking for a 94 or 95 motor.  (you could get a 90-93 but I think you need a "newer" motor to qualify in CA)