Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cannot unlock my Subaru Outback Ltd with fob or keys

alternator and battery problems tend to go hand in hand - a bad battery can kill an alternator, and vice versa.

it is pretty rare for power steering to just give up on a Subaru - check the fluid level & condition, and the belt for the power steering pump.

Thanks for the answer to the mystery!

I've changed out alternators before and sometimes grime or manufacturing lube gets on the new pulley causing the belt to slip on the power steering. After a day or so it works off and the steering is fine.

It seems to cause it to slip and rumble at low slow turns almost at idle or while you start to move from a dead stop and turn at the same time. I once thought my steering rack was going out but it cleared up.

It seems to cause it to slip and rumble at low slow turns almost at idle or while you start to move from a dead stop and turn at the same time. I once thought my steering rack was going out but it cleared up.

check the fluid level - make sure it is correct. there are 2 sets of level markings on the stick - one set for cold (when car has been sitting for a while, engine completely cold), one for hot (after car has been driven) - make sure you are reading the correct side for the conditions.

what does the fluid look like? is it a nice red color? or is it dark/dirty/burned looking? does it look like there are bubbles (foamy) after things are warmed up good?

condition of the fluid can help diagnose a problem, if there is one.

check the belt tension, too loose can cause slipping - too tight can cause excess strain on pulley bearings, wearing them out faster.

pushing on the belt at the longest run between pulleys, you should only have about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of "play"