Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mysterious Coolant leak from (under?) EA81 intake manifold

I have fixed two coolant leaks so far...

The gasket for the Thermostat, and then saw that some was getting through one of the bolts/holes for the thermostat cover/husing (may have been same thing) But now there is a tiny leak that appears to be dripping down off the bottom of the intake manifold about 4-5 inches from the thermostat towards the carb.

It does not appear to be coming from elsewhere before dripping off the bottom of the intake manifold, and does not appear to have anything todo with either of the heater hoses. It almost looks like it might be comming from an attachment that has 2-4 metal vacuum lines, but I doubt it could be coming from the vacuum lines because the engine is runnign pretty well.

There is no water mixing with the oil. A wild guess would be if there could somehow be a tiny crack or hole in the bottom of the intake manifold, but that doesn;t make much sense either.

If I'm lucky, it might just be that the repair of replacing the thermostat cover/housing didn't take and has a leak coming off the bottom and trailing under the intake manifold, but I was pretty thorough and have a feeling that it is not that.

Anyone have any ideas or especially any knowldge or experience with same or similar problem ???

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Subaruist

Hola primero espero que entiendas español sino bueno lo mismo que yo hago cuando se me complica un poco el ingles "google traductor".

Bueno asumiendo que ya revisaste el radiador, las mangueras y juntas , solo quedaría todas las conexiones de refrigeración que van al motor . En mi caso que es motor Ea81 el motor comenzaba a calentar porque no circulaba el agua , y hasta malogro mi radiador , se me inflaban las mangueras, así que saque la bomba de agua y el sistema de admisión. Como veras en la foto el sistema nunca había recibido mantenimiento y las cañerías que lleva de manera adicional , un tubo largo al costado del termostato estaba picada , luego lleva una segunda cañería al lado derecho que se conecta con el sistema de aire acondicionado también estaba picada , y adicionalmente te sugiero revisar el empaque de la bomba de agua. Así como sus mangueras y juntas .

Esto de la refrigeración es un clásico , te recomiendo hacer todo el sistema de una vez y no por pedazos ya que a la larga perder aumentar , limpiar y reemplazar partes y refrigerante, se volverá un martirio. Un sólo dolor y luego te olvidas de problemas en el sistema de refrigeración por lo menos 1 año mínimo . !!!

Saludos ojalá te sirva de algo la Info .

post-55183-0-72831500-1412748709_thumb.jpg

Howdy,

In case you didn't know, there are water passages in the intake manifold, out on ends where intake bolts to head, and also some small tubing/hoses that go from engine block to Carb. mounting base. On my stock "carter/weber" carb mount, there is a small rubber gasket, fits into carb. mount block. Water warms/heats the carb plate to make fuel vaporize better(I think?). My intake manifold started to show leaks, and it came down to taking the whole intake manifold off, and finding that my carb was not tightened down to the manifold. Also, if you are going to take off intake, make sure the bolts are loosened, before you remove them, or else you will just twist them off/broken, into head.

Howdy,

In case you didn't know, there are water passages in the intake manifold, out on ends where intake bolts to head, and also some small tubing/hoses that go from engine block to Carb. mounting base. On my stock "carter/weber" carb mount, there is a small rubber gasket, fits into carb. mount block. Water warms/heats the carb plate to make fuel vaporize better(I think?). My intake manifold started to show leaks, and it came down to taking the whole intake manifold off, and finding that my carb was not tightened down to the manifold. Also, if you are going to take off intake, make sure the bolts are loosened, before you remove them, or else you will just twist them off/broken, into head.

Wow,I dared not think of that ! I presumed that those would all be vacuum lines! - I may well have to take the manifold off, which I really don;t want to do,but that narrows it down quite a bit!

The oly thing I wonder is that if I remember, it looked likeit was not coming from those, but coming directlyoff the bottom-middle/center of the manifold, but I willlook at it with new eyes now!

Thanks!

The easiest way I have removed the intake manifold bolts is to run the car until it's up to normal operating temperature.  Then shut down.  Immediately remove the bolts.  If it can't / won't run, heat gun and a space heater to cause the same effect.