Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is involved with replacing this fuel level sensor?  This code just popped up on my wife's 2004 Outback base.  I know nothing about the sensor (i.e. location of the sensor, ease of replacement, what it will do if it quits all together).  Can someone give me a little insight to this? 

There are two fuel level sensors in the tank. One for each "half" of the tank.

This could just be due to corrosion in the wire connector on top of the sensor.

There are access plates in the floor on either side just behind the rear seats. Check and clean the connectors first. If the code returns you may need to replace the sensor units.

The sensors are only used to drive the fuel guage. The car will NOT stop running if they fail completely, just the fuel guage will stop working.

The computer uses a signal from the sensors to determine when to run leak checks for the Evaporative emissions system, which is the only reason this causes a CEL.

• Like 2

Is there any way to tell which one is which? Which one is bad, if it is bad?  I will check and clean the connectors first but was just curious as to figure out which one is bad.  Unfortunately, I need to clear this code to get her car inspected.  I just found out that it is overdue.  Thank you so much for your help and responses.

The only way to determine which is bad is to remove them and check the contact on the slider for wear. If the unit totally fails you can check it with an ohmmeter for an open circuit, but if the fuel guage still works you won't be able to tell which is bad without removing them from the tank.