Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speedo Cable to Trans, remove how?

Speedo Cable to Trans, remove how?  79, EA81 wagon 4WD, 4sp dual range manual transmission.

The Speedometer Cable has a rubber/plastic boot which I have slid upward to expose a ~1/2 diameter collar then a hex fitting which a 17mm fits onto loosely.  the 17 mm hex is about 1" long and seems to be made of plastic although it's blacked by crud and doesn't seem to clean up with penetrating spray. 

When I turn the 17mm Hex counterclockwise as viewed from above it seems to flex but NOT UNSCREW. 

If it's plastic I may break it or strip any plastic threads going into the transmission.

How does the cable come out??

If it's anything like on an ea82 car (and it sounds like it is) it is plastic and i basically destroyed the one on my car getting it off. Once it's threaded out, it pulls straight up and out.

The correct 17 mm wrench fits but then the plastic flexes and the wrench slips.

Why in God's name is it made out of plastic?

Edited by l75eya

Thanks for your quick reply, So it should loosen by turning Counterclockwise and if it doesn't break, it will unscrew, correct?

From your comments I am planning on using penetrating oil and double wrenches to spread the forces out on the hex part.