Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995-1998 Brake Swap Question

Okay, i'll be honest, I'm on a budget and dont have time for anything quality at the moment.  I'm being offered a set of brake calipers from a 1995 Legacy.  I know they're all single piston, but im not concerned with that.  MY question is, will they bolt up to my existing set up? PLEASE HELP!!!

Profile says 98 Outback Limited.

Need to know more about what car the calipers came from.  I have a 95 LS and my front calipers were single piston with the smaller rotor (that fit with 14" wheels).  My car has the 15" alloys on it and I upgraded to the dual piston and larger rotors.  If the calipers you are being offered are from a 14" set up they won't work with your larger rotors (unless you get rotors that fit, either the matching set from the donor car or new ones).

If the calipers you are looking at don't work, you can get reman calipers at Advance Auto for about $45 each using a coupon (they have one for 35% off right now).

• 4 weeks later...

Well let's see what Joe says. Cars101.com says '95 LSi had power assisted 10.2" front disc, 10.5 rear disc, ABS, 4 channel

Assuming you have a 98 Outback Limited per upnorthguy, Joe says that had Brakes: 4 channel Anti-Lock Brakes. Heavy duty 10.7 vented front disc with dual caliper pistons, 10.5" rear disk.

So assuming all that info is correct, if your brakes are shot and you want to use the components from the '95 it's not ideal because the '95s being single piston and smaller rotors but it should bolt up (using the '95 front rotors). The only real bolt up concern is where the brackets bolt to the bearing housing, and that seems to be the same on similar era Subaru's it's just the brackets and calipers and rotors vary. (And obviously if going to bigger rotors do the wheels still fit). Or maybe if the '95 front calipers will mount to your existing caliper brackets then you could keep your old rotors.

Edited by porcupine73

if you're on a budget the better option is to not replace the calipers.

1.  if it's just the slides - clean them and properly grease them.

2.  if a caliper is leaking - rebuild the leaking caliper.  it's one seal, and a clipped in dust boot, super simple, $4.53:

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/405-05106823.html?utm_content=DN&utm_term=1996-2002+Subaru+Legacy+Caliper+Repair+Kit+Centric+Front+96-02+Subaru+Caliper+Repair+Kit+1998+2001&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=CLHRg5b9lMMCFQiEaQodUDIAuw

to answer your question, yes - they swap if you swap the bracket, caliper, and rotor.  all bolts right up.

• Like 1