Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi folks need some quick help here  my daughter has a 92 loyale  1.8 front wheel drive 3 speed auto wagon . she blew up  dont ask long story .   pulled motor out to put head gaskets on  both heads  have little visible cracks between the valves  cant find a junk yard 1.8 motor or heads any closer then 179 miles from here  2.2s   are every ware as close as 20 miles  the question is  can you put  2.2 heads on the 1.8 block  or just put a 2.2 in it with out having to change a bunch of stuff  thanks any info appreciated   bill 

Ignore the cracks unless the engine was severely overheated. on those particular heads - almost every single one on the road has those cracks between the valve seats.

If they're severely overheated like really bad - the cracks could possibly extend down into the exhaust ports - that usually only happens on turbo motors and is rare, but it happens. 

so if she ran it low on oil, run the heads.

if she overheated it - how bad?

a machine shop can pressure test them and see if the cracks extend into the exhaust ports.

you could alternately try and get water/light into the crack and see if they extended into the exhaust ports yourself?  maybe search here and see if others have done that...i've never tested one, just ignored the cracks.

*** note - a machine shop will likely freak out at those cracks.  there's probably few if any shops around that will be familiar with 1980's Subaru heads and know how common/normal those cracks can be.  you'll have to decline all their services and suggestions and worries about warranty that the heads are trash.

2.2 is a completely different redesigned platform with no compatability at all.  heads won't work, engine can't be easily swapped (unless you swap out and splice in the entire wiring harness/ECU and make a bellhousing adapter plate).

Was the 1.8 over heated, when it blew up, or maybe run out of oil?? If either happened, then a replacement motor would be the way to go.

A 2.2 motor would be my choice, but would need to be 90-94 model 2.2 (OBD1). 1995 and later 2.2 motors use the OBD2 scan system, and would not plug and play. Though maybe the intake manifold off your 1.8 could be bolted to a later model 2.2 to make it work. I have only limited knowledge of swap ins, but plenty of others on this forum, I am sure will chime in with more valuable information.

I see by previous post that a 2.2 swap in won't work............disregard above info.

Edited by Rooster2

the catastrophic nature of the event sounds largely oil starvation related - the heads are probably fine.

if you're uncertain - have a shop pressure test them.

Mark Small machine shop in Westminster and another in taneytown, MD and another in Eldersburg, MD can all do it...i'm sure there's gobs more around you.  take them in and be done with it.

otherwise www.car-part.com