Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I do a lot of night and early morning driving through snow, fog, and rain to get to and from ski and fishing locations and the headlights on my 96 impreza outback are just not performing well enough. part of the problem is I think they are not centered properly even though the level gauge on each headlight mount is centered in the middle which is how I believe they are supposed to be (?). I just recently put new bulbs in of the high power type and it didnt seem to improve anything so idk what the issue is. How do I clean my current headlights and restore them as a short term solution and then as a long term solution what would you guys reccomend as far as replacement headlights and aftermarket fog lights? Where can I get new headlights? And how would you guys set up fog lights for often super foggy, rainy, and snowy PNW weather? Should I just mount 2 on the bumper or do a roof rack style? Im a newb when it comes to aftermarket lighting.

The level guages never work right.

The only way I aim headlamps is drive out to a big flat parking lot at night and park 100 feet from a wall or curb. I aim the low beam lamps so the top edge of the beam just meets the curb or the bottom of the wall.

I aim the lamps left/right based on how far they appear to be off center. Low beams should be pointed just a hair to the right to keep the beam away from oncoming vehicles. With single bulb headlamps the high beam will point straight ahead when the low beam is pointed slightly to the right.

Try to keep the beams roughly the same distance apart. Aiming the beams at the same point will cause them to cross and will decrease visibility.

After initial adjustments I go for a drive on varying roads and make fine adjustments. Slightly up or down and slightly left or right depending on how the beam falls on lane markings and how far out I can see the beam cut-off.

If you can see the beam cut-off, adjust up slightly, just until you can't see the cut-off anymore. Then adjust back down 1/4 turn of the adjuster.

If you can't see the beam cut-off adjust down until you can see it. Then follow the step above.

Adjust the high beams slightly until they point straight ahead. When the high beams are straight ahead the low beam will be properly adjusted just slightly right. This step can take 3-4 stops driving around and making small adjustments each time.

The projector type fog lights work the best.

Try to find a factory wiring kit to make installation easy.

Occasionally a factory fog light kit comes up on eBay for a decent price. If there are any u-pull type junkyards nearby you might get lucky and find the fog lights and the wiring all in one shot.

Edited by Fairtax4me

The correct fog lamp for your car depends on which bumper you have.

If you have the large cut-outs for the round lights you have more options.

The smaller rectangular lights are harder to find.

Few aftermarket lamps work as well as the factory lamps. Avoid "Driving" and "Off-road" lamps if you really need them for fog.

Dedicated "Fog" lamps have a different beam that doesn't reflect off of the fog. The fog lamp beam is intended to be aimed low across the road so it has a better chance at being under the fog and is less likely to reflect the light back towards you, which will decrease your vision.