Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant Temp Sensors

This is for my '88 Wagon with SPFI.

Thinking my CTS is bad as she's been wanting to flood trying to start 1st thing in the mornings with these single digit temps we've had lately.

I have what I believe to be a CTS from a MPFI system, has Black connector on it.

Questions are.

Outside of the connection difference, are the 2 sensor compatible?

I can just swap connections and use it?

Yes they both operate in the same range.

MPFI sensor will fit where the SPFI one goes.......But SPFI one will not fit in MPFI "flat" intake........SPFI probe end is too long.

Although......I must say all the MPFI ones I've seen are Brown, with a "bosch" style connector like the MPFI injectors.

Thanks for the info.

Gotta say, Hmm here. So just where did this here Black connector CTS come from? I know not, therefore,, maybe I no try to use it and fubar something.

Time to spend money on proper replacement one.

She did start up good this morning though. Nice balmy 18* F out.

Spent some time digging around on various auto part supplier web sites looking for a replacement CTS.

WOW!! $70.00 - $100.00 for the one that matches what is in the Wagon. OUCH..

Saw a few listed what have the connector directly on the sensor, no pigtail. Sites claimed they were a direct fit for my Wagon.

One of those is a Standard Motor Products unit p/n TX-18, also gave a Subaru p/n of 22630aa000.

Forgot to note price, but it was around $25.00

Quick search on Google gives that it fits SPFI, MPFI and Turbo 1.8's and the 2.7's. And the Dealership gives a $50.00 price tag on it.

Thinking I'll go with it, pretty sure I have needed harness side connector here.