Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car: 2000 Subaru legacy l wagon

thought I fix the  intermittent rough idle and misfire by replacing pvc valve ($3)  last month. It keep doing it.

It's been intermittent misfire for 3 months and not driving it for 3 months, but I start it once a while.

I change passenger and driver side valve cover gasket with the felpro kit. It was easy and took me under 2 hours.

Little bit of oil went inside all 4 spark plugs well so I cleaned them up with brake cleaner and let it sit overnight. Next day, I use a rag to clean the inside.

Today, I change 4 spark plugs (pre-gap at .035) so I gapped all of them to .041. after I install it, I drove the car around and no misfire for 4 miles. Came back from Giant food store and My car turn off at a traffic light idling. I restart it and misfiring with 2 codes (SOOO HAPPY. There was no code before this with the rough idle and misfire).

The problem:

-I scan it at home and says cylinder 1 and 2 misfire. While the car misfire, I unplug cylinder 2 top spark plug wire connection that connect to the coil pack and no spark. I did this same procedure with the cylinder 1 wire and gave me the same result. When the car stop misfiring, I unplug the cylinder 2 spark plug wire that connect to the ignition coil and there was spark, but seems weak comparing to cylinder 3 and 4.  While the spark plugs wire NOT connected, the ignition coil gives no spark again.

so is this ignition coil? I did ask two autozone and they said it is ignition coil. Also, I went to a 5 star auto mechanic shop from 20+ reviews near my area and they said the ignition coil is the problem.

What you think?

HERE IS THE VIDEO  (please excuse my happiness. Been figuring out this misfire): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh8fUuOxAVU

Edited by Legacywagon