Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 Brat; No spark, No start?

Greetings, we have a 1982 Brat GL, the car had been running fine, except we did have a momentary miss a week ago. Two days ago the car would not start, the engine was cold and spins over fine but will not start. I started by checking the wires and when I pulled the wire out of the coil it was corroded green and pulled the connector out of the coil. I installed a new coil and coil wire. The car had no spark, I tested the coil, It checks good (the old one checks good to but has no wire connector). The folks at the parts store suggested to put a test light on the negative post on the coil and the battery negative post. When cranking over the engine the test light should flash, if it stays lit then It probably is a distributor problem. Our car does not flash, just stays lit. We installed a new distributor but have the same problem. Does anyone have some suggestion on other tests I can perform, or other components that can cause this problem. Thanks in advance for your help. 

1982 Model if it has points and Condenser I bet the Condenser has failed.

Condenser is a small round metallic surge capacitance absorber to stop the points burning out, It is connected to the points via a single wire inside the distributor.

As suggested cap n rotor....

Did the new disty include the module? 82 4x4 should have an elctronic hitachi with the module under the cap. Those wires that go from the disty to the coil are another point to be checked with ohm meter, iirc ones yellow ones black and prolly cracked and cooked. I once had a connection issue at the module itself. Also you should take a look at operetion with the cap off while some one cranks it for you. Just to make sure everything is spinning right in there.

Edited by ihscout54

Thank you for the replies,we appreciate your time. This Brat has a Hitachi breakerless ignition system with the module in the distributor. Looks like they used old wires on this rebuilt distributor so I will check them. Cap and rotor are good. 

Thanks Again!