Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power distribution block?

Uberoo

I'm rewiring my 78 brat so its up to modern standards,IE relays for everything.I figure that to bring the car up to code would take 8 relays; low beams,high beams,a relay to run all 4 lights on high, blower motor,starter signal, radiator fan,4 forward facing offroad lights,2 rearward facing back up lights.All of those things combined add up to 1290W or roughly 110 A.While most likely I wouldn't be running everything at once I would like to design the wiring to take it.Indeed the only time I can for see needing everything on would be wheeling at night,in the winter/rain,and reversing while keeping the forward lights on..which actually isn't too much of a stretch.

So anyway I would like some power distribution block that has ONE heavy wire from the battery(circuit breaker) feeding it,and 8 outputs capable of sending power to all the various relays(fused).Only the raditor fan would have the biggest draw at 40 amps,but everything else is less than 20.Bonus points if somehow the relays and fused could be mounted to it. Ive looked at various factory "power distribution" blocks,and while the relays and fuses are all in one place there is never one large wire powering the whole thing.Anyone seen a product like what I am describing?Or have an idea of how to make one?

Edited by Uberoo

• 2 weeks later...

i would look at Blue Sea Systems from the marine industry, there "saftey hub 150" would meet your needs, maybe a little overkill.  To simplify it you could use the "ST blade fuse block"  for all but the fan, (30A max per circuit, 100A for the block) and then run the fan off its own maxi fuse block.  

I installed there "weather deck" in my car, to run lights, fans, ect but i didnt use relays.  Switches and fuses all built into one panel.  i just built my own little loom and it was a tidy install.    

looking online at fans, i am surprised that yours draws 40A, most 16" single fans are around 8A and dual fans around 16A.  Is the 40A the surge draw when starting.  That surge is accounted for in ratings and you should pick a fuse based on the operating current.  If this is true then the ST blade fuse block would work great.  

as for a relay block i would find one off a car in a junk yard with enough circuits for your needs, a lot cheaper then buying one.