Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all,

Hope ya'all don't beat me up to bad I think I have to go back to basics.  My son's subie went to the ORV park then he went back to Military AIT and the car was sitting in the driveway.  When we went to move it it would barely run.  So there was a couple of repair needed on the harness that I have read and wanted to look at and I did.  Then I decided to do a tune-up on the car.  Well now it starts and does not stay running.

First question on the fuel pump.  Is the pump supposed to pump in the "run" position?  Mine does not it starts pumping in the start position....?  Help...........Please?

Thanks,

Eric

If it's spfi i'm pretty certain it's designed to only run the fuel pump in the start position to start the vehicle, and then in the run position only if the motor is still running. If it stalls out, the fuel pump will not continue to pump until you restart the vehicle.

• Like 1

Yes it is SPFI but what really confuses me is when I first turn the key in the "run" position it doesn't buzz or click like it has done in the past.  It only tries to pump in the run position.....?

SPFI doesn't use a "priming" cycle. MPFI and EJs do.

Pump will not start until starting and cranking.

And the reason it wouldn't start wassssssss??????? (*HINT*)

I ain't no mind reader man. Lol.

????

Well,

By reading your all's posts I did these things.  Remove the left and right cover and checked timing again and it was dead on.  I removed the 1 sparkplug and rotated engine to tdc then the align holes on the timing gears were out and up and out and down and that looked right.  The pointer on the case was at 0 which was assuring.  Well the distributor was not at 1.....So I pulled the distributor and disassemble it.  I noticed that one the rubber plugs was missing on the side of the distributor.  There appeared to be a little drop of water in the corner I thought was odd.  When I removed the distributor and turned it upside down ALOT of water came out!  So I removed the rotor.  I remove the metal cover plate and drain the dog gone thing.  I sprayed a bunch of lectromotive in there and blew it out with air.  Well I lined the alignment mark to the mark on the case of the distributor and dropped it in.  Since I had this thing this far I made a spark plug jumper and got a new plug and checked all my spark wires.  Oddly one wire (and they were new) was week.  I switched it with one of the old wires and was fine.  So I disassembled the new wire and reconnected the ends.  I cleaned the MAF and installed. Dialectric Grease in the connector.  I removed the TPS and cleaned and installed dialectric grease.  I readjust the TPS in accordance with Ultimate Subaru Dot Org...  Booyah thank you very much.  I tested the coil and it was good.  I reassembled every thing and started it up.  I adjusted the timing and the idle....  Runs Great!

• Like 1

Well,

By reading your all's posts I did these things.  Remove the left and right cover and checked timing again and it was dead on.  I removed the 1 sparkplug and rotated engine to tdc then the align holes on the timing gears were out and up and out and down and that looked right.  The pointer on the case was at 0 which was assuring.  Well the distributor was not at 1.....So I pulled the distributor and disassemble it.  I noticed that one the rubber plugs was missing on the side of the distributor.  There appeared to be a little drop of water in the corner I thought was odd.  When I removed the distributor and turned it upside down ALOT of water came out!  So I removed the rotor.  I remove the metal cover plate and drain the dog gone thing.  I sprayed a bunch of lectromotive in there and blew it out with air.  Well I lined the alignment mark to the mark on the case of the distributor and dropped it in.  Since I had this thing this far I made a spark plug jumper and got a new plug and checked all my spark wires.  Oddly one wire (and they were new) was week.  I switched it with one of the old wires and was fine.  So I disassembled the new wire and reconnected the ends.  I cleaned the MAF and installed. Dialectric Grease in the connector.  I removed the TPS and cleaned and installed dialectric grease.  I readjust the TPS in accordance with Ultimate Subaru Dot Org...  Booyah thank you very much.  I tested the coil and it was good.  I reassembled every thing and started it up.  I adjusted the timing and the idle....  Runs Great!

Good work. When I left mine sitting for three months it did a very similar thing and turned out to be condensation in the distributor cap. Thanks for posting what you did to fix it. I am betting it will be more reliable now.

• Like 1

It really is pretty simple.  I am not a computer guy so I don't know how these other guys post a link.  I GOOGLED "how do I adjust my throttle position sensor on my 1990 Subaru loyale and one of the hits is on this forum.  He has a picture out of a chiltons or something that gives step by step resistance checks and adjustment.

• Like 1