Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru tough truck

Well, let's see.... First mod is a major one. Turn it into a Chevy, Ford, Nissan or Toyota. Next, build up from there.

:lol: Seriously, I wouldn't even try. I ran both my 3/4 ton Chev and my heavily modded Jeep J10 pickup in tough truck rounds and still broke stuff. Granted my foot tends to rest on the accelerator like a 100lb lead brick... I have driven all of my Brats hard. Done things to them I should be ashamed of. Mostly, they hold up. The biggest problem you're going to have is the unibody. It is not designed to, nor will it take the abuse of tough truck. My second Brat we ran mercilessly in the dunes. Jumping off dunes, taking whoops and doubles. It caved in the strut towers and bent the struts. The control arm bushings ceased to exist and the tie rods liked to bend when coming down hard on a hard surface with the wheels turned. I'm not saying it can't be done. It would be cool to see a Subie run tough truck, but you will all but destroy it in short order without bracing the unibody, using poly bushings, shoring up the strut towers, finding larger struts to fit, and addressing tie rod issues. The amount of time and money you'd put into getting it up to snuff to make one round just wouldn't be worth it IMO. Of course, I'm finally starting to tone down my off road thrashing of vehicles.

You're going to want more horsepower, too. Ive seen a couple guys try to run them, and they ALWAYS missed a double and hit hard straight into the second berm. Cars were bent, and they were done. Had they had more power, they couldve cleared it. They lack the rigidity of a full frame, and they dont have near enough wheel travel.

I can attest that subarus can take a serious beating....but they are not built for running tough truck tracks.