Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about a new radiator from RockAuto

'95 EJ18, Manual, 210K

I was replacing my radiator when I realized that the new one has two nipples on the bottom, facing the engine bay, that my old one does not have... at all... not even holes that have been plugged.

What are these for?

Can i just run some 3/8" heater hose to form a closed loop?

Am I missing something here?

post-48472-0-64964500-1424549510_thumb.jpg

Probably trans cooler lines...

Yes, newer Radiators comes with those pipes, intended for the Automatic Transmissions' Models.

They sell the same radiator for Automatic or Manual trans models, because is easier to build only one style radiator, in case of manual transmission, you only ignore those pipes.

Kind Regards.

Those are for the ATF cooler lines. All the new radiators come with them because its cheaper to make one radiator that fits both MT and AT cars. Also avoids returns when people try to put the MT radiator into the AT car and realize there's nowhere to hook up the ATF cooler lines.

If it came with dust covers just put some silicone on them and stick em back on the ends of the nipples to keep dirt out. No coolant will get in there so no need to really seal it off. Just want to keep crud out to prevent corrosion inside.

Why are you even putting a hose on it for?  Unless it is connected to your transmission or something else with flowing fluid nothing will come out of it or go into it.  I can understand capping the ends but the hose is unnecessary.